About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Days of Infamy

Yesterday we honored the memories of those who perished at Pearl Harbor. More flags were displayed in homes, parks, and memorial sites. There were some speeches and brief recognition by the news media. History and time have brought healing to most Americans. Since December 7, 1941, as a nation we have learned more about Japan's history, culture and religions. Some of us have come to understand how the pattern of aggression, greed and jealousy can lead to such attacks. Yet we do not condone the attack.

Basic physics teaches that for every action, there is a reaction. An unknown factor or action caused the reaction of my cells to become disorganized and multiply rapidly forming a tumor. Through research, information from my doctors and nurses, the experiences of other cancer patients, I have come to an understanding of cancer. I still do not like what happened, but I am at a certain level of peace.

Perhaps we can use the remembrance of Pearl Harbor and the memories of our own day of infamy (the day of our diagnosis) as times to grow and learn; to be more aware of another nation's characteristics and behaviors; to be more in tune with our own bodies' symptoms or changes; and to be more nurturing to nations, to each other, and to ourselves.

No comments: