About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Resolutions

The tradition of making resolutions began with the ancient Babylonians some 4000 years ago. Every spring in March they returned borrowed farm tools and promised to pay off debts. The Romans adopted this tradition with their mythical king, Janus, in 150 B.C., who was head of their calendar. Janus had two faces, one that looked back to the past and the other looked forward. The people made promises to Janus to be better and thereby hoped to be granted good fortune for the next year. When the Gregorian calendar was created, these acts were celebrated in January at the start of the new year.
Just as in ancient times, for me January is a time of reflection and hopes of improvement. For many years before I got cancer, I wrote down my resolutions for each new year in a special little notebook I carried in my purse. For some years I was able to cross out one or two accomplishments whether it was the typical resolutions to lose weight or exercise more. I still believe in weight control and exercise, but cancer taught me to look at myself more deeply; to be more of a light to others. Many of us need to receive love, caring and information especially when we are gripped with fear from hearing the word "cancer."
My main goal for the past three years has been to reach as many people as possible about ovarian cancer. I use every opportunity to share, educate and inspire women to be aware of the symptoms as well as be their own advocates.
I am in the final steps of getting my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, published. It should be available within the next two months. I found a publishing house (Beaver's Pond Press) where everyone has been supportive, encouraging and have worked closely with me. They have been my guiding light as I try to be the same for others through my book and blog.
I wish for each of you a most blessed and healthy new year in 2012.


2 comments:

Judi said...

Karen, I look forward to getting your book and can not wait to read it.

Karen Ingalls said...

It was wonderful meeting you and John yesterday. Thank you for sharing your story about ovarian cancer. We can all learn, encourage and support, and just be there for each other. God bless.