About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, December 16, 2011

To Chemo or Not to Chemo

Some people have been surprised that I chose to receive chemotherapy after my cancer diagnosis. Others have asked if I regret that decision. There was a time in my life when I did not think I would ever let such a poison into my body. However, after discussing it with my oncologist, husband, and my own research, I knew I "wanted" and needed chemotherapy.

I was fortunate that my side effects from the Taxol and Carboplantin were relatively tolerable. Hair loss and weakness were the worst. While I received these toxic medications, and afterwards while I meditated, I visualized the medication's molecules acting like a "Pac-man" destroying the cancer cells; I visualized my healthy cells being strong and surrounded by a white light; and I used my breath to move healing energy through every part of my body. I follow the practice of daily meditation even today while I celebrate my third year of remission. I also believe that good nutrition, loving support, and humor were also important factors in helping my body defend itself from the cancer.

I respect and support the decision each person makes regarding to choose chemotherapy or not. There are many studies which provide data to help a person to make their decision. There are many success stories of those people who chose the natural, holistic, or non-chemo path. What may be right for one person, may not be right for another.

I welcome you to share your thoughts and experiences regarding the choice to chemo or not to chemo.

2 comments:

Tonia Sortors said...

I never considered chemo as "poison" or anything negative. I just saw it as a tool to use to get me better. We started with a drug that basically has no side effects and over time went on to the stronger meds. It was that strong med that tipped me over into remission. I have paid the price in the loss of alot of mental cognition, but I can work to get that back. Already I've gone from 60% of my total cognition to 80-90% in about 6 months!

I really applaud your path through cancer. You seemed to maintain your grace and strength. And whole heartedly agree that it is an individual choice.

beth said...

Hi Karen, I found you in the whisper network (KC?) and tried to search for your blog. I was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer in June 2011, had a major debulking operation in July and chemo treatment starting August till December. My blood test in January and the ctscans were good and I should be ecstatic! But I still find myself anxious at times, there are still nights when I can't sleep.

So many people have supported me after knowing of my condition. SO many people praying for me. I realized not just my family and friends but their friends too that I really feel so blessed.

People who see me tell me I look great. I am bald at the moment so I tell them to just call me BBB... that is beautiful bald beth :-)

People who see me tell me I inspire them being so positive and full of faith. Of course they don't really see me all the time but I guess I am like any other who has the disease -- there will always be moments of doubts... and it seems to be creeping in lately that i started looking for people that shares my experience for support.

Maybe I get to read your book when it comes out!
Take care and God bless