About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Courage

Without dreams, there can be no courage. And without courage, there can be no action." (Wim Wenders)
I found this quote to be inspiring and helpful particularly when I think about the second line of the Serenity Prayer. I have always had dreams about the kind of person I wanted to be, things to accomplish, and places to see. Some of those dreams have come true, or I am still working on others. For each achievement courage and action had been required.

When I first heard, "You have cancer," for a few days I let fear destroy my dreams, and therefore, my courage. I turned to God for guidance, my family and friends for support, and information from the doctor. Once I allowed these three components back into my life, I was able to dream about my new life with bravery. I was able to face the consequences of the extensive surgery, do things to counteract the side effects of chemotherapy, and become a survivor and advocate. I had courage (and still do) to change the things I can. Therefore, this blog was created, my book is being published (Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir), and I support ovarian cancer awareness activities.

How have dreams and courage been parts of your life?


4 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Hi, Karen. Thanks for pointing me to your blog. I have always maintained that courage is something that God gives us. He is the great "Encourager". I rest in His care no matter how dire life looks at any given moment.

Karen Ingalls said...

I agree that God is the great Encourager. I cannot imagine going through life without Him.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Annabelle said...

So true~ Thanks for your words here and also thanks for visiting my blog!

Karen Ingalls said...

And thank you for checking out my blog. We can learn from and support each other, which is so beautiful!