About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Serenity

For the month of January I am going to focus on bringing more serenity into my life. Serenity is a state of calmness or tranquility. To bring such a state into my life I will meditate, spend more time with nature, and surround myself with people who display sereneness.

It is not by chance that Alcoholics Anonymous adopted the Serenity Prayer. It was first introduced by a member to one of A.A.'s co-founders, William Griffith Wilson, in 1941. It has been an important and powerful part of A.A. and other 12-step programs. This prayer is just as relative for those of us who are facing the challenges of cancer or other devastating diseases.

                          God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                          Courage to change the things I can,
                          And wisdom to know the difference.


I encourage you to think, pray, and act on the simple but meaningful message of this prayer. Serenity will promote improved health for the body, mind, and spirit.



2 comments:

Kathy said...

I saw this the other day and liked it.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, Courage to change the ones I can, And the wisdom to know that it's me."

It's tongue-in-cheek of course, but it also highlights the fact that we are the ones who change.

Karen Ingalls said...

I love it! Thank you for sharing.