About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Photography of Life

I recently read the novel, Winter Garden, which was a very moving and emotional story about two adult sisters and their aging mother about whom they know so little. One of the daughters is a professional photographer and somewhere in the book something is said to the effect, "Life is like photography, you develop from negatives." As an amateur photographer I was quite impressed with this observation and how I have grown from some negative aspects since my ovarian cancer diagnosis.

Needless worry, superficial goals, and foolishly taking life for granted are just three  things I have let go of. When I find myself worrying about something, I meditate about it and "let go, let God." Worries are only fears that I let control me.

One of my main goals is to be supportive to the women who have/had ovarian cancer. I want to teach/inform women of all ages about the subtle signs or whispers of ovarian cancer. I try to do this through this blog, my soon to be published book (Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir), support groups, and anytime I have the opportunity.

To truly live each day fully and lovingly continues to be a deep part of me. That seed was planted the day after my diagnosis, and like the saying goes, "I bloom where I am planted." Or so I try. I do not take anything for granted, but know that I must nurture, water, and fertilize each day.

What negatives have you turned into beautiful photographs of yourself?








5 comments:

Pearl Miller said...

I posted a comment...but I lost it..
Thanks so much..What to answer...very thought/heart provocting. I will have to really think about it..
Great day today..each day is a gift. Thank you

Servivorgirl said...

Let go and let God.....so easy yet so hard. I look forward to your book...

Karen Ingalls said...

Before and during writing the blog I gave this a lot of thought. I loved the concept of developing the negatives of life into a photograph that will be beautiful or meaningful. Turning negatives into positives are not always easy.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Karen Ingalls said...

I suppose lessons are best learned when we have to put more effort into them. I may turn an issue over to God, but all too often I find myself hanging on to it in various degrees. I am better at letting go when I use deep meditation.
God bless you.

Amy Ingalls said...

Karen thank you for your postings. Whenever I think of turning a negative into a positive I think of my alcoholism, I never wanted to be an alcoholic, I never asked God to bless me with the disease of alcoholism and I never said to myself "boy when I grow up I can't wait to be an alcoholic!" However as I look back over the course of many years and my life leading up to today, my alcoholism could be the greatest gift I have ever received. It's shaped me into the woman that I am today and I know as I focus on recovery I will live into even better places. One of the worst images in the human mind is "alcoholic" I'm glad I don't see it as being so ugly, bad and negative today.