About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

PAP Misinformation

In the past week two women have been surprised to learn from me that the PAP smear does NOT detect ovarian cancer. Both times these were opportunities for me to talk about ovarian cancer; its statistics and symptoms. They both knew that it is usually a terminal disease, but did not have an understanding why such was the case.

I am grateful that Dr. Oz has recently had television programs about ovarian cancer and developed a wonderful worksheet for women with possible symptoms. I encourage you to look at this worksheet at the website: www.ovariancanceronesheet.com. If a woman fills the sheet out according to her symptoms and takes it to her physician, hopefully it will alert the M.D. to pursue appropriate tests. I will be handing out copies at each of my book presentations so women can immediately see it as one tool we can use to help fight ovarian cancer.

My book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, is also a tool to teach, inform, and inspire women and their families. You can purchase it through my website: www.outshineovariancancer.com. Research is a key to finding cures and better screening methods, so 10% of all proceeds goes toward ovarian cancer research.

TOGETHER we can do this.

4 comments:

Darcia said...

I look forward to seeing the worksheet. The more information, the better.

Karen Ingalls said...

It is a wonderful worksheet and I encourage every woman to print a copy and use it as a tool to track symptoms.

l'optimiste said...

I am stunned when women don't know that the cervical smear does NOT detect ovarian cancer..but really, it's a no brainer. 'Cervical' says it all - nothing to do with the traitorous ovaries is it?

Good luck with your book :)

Karen Ingalls said...

The lack of information or the misinformation is astounding. That is why I commend your efforts and wrote the book. Each time one of us speaks up, teaches, or writes blogs, articles or books we have an opportunity to help some woman.