About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Survivors

There is a group of women who are identified as the Bodacious Ovarian Diva Survivors (B.O.D.S.). We met serendipitously through the efforts of one woman, who saw a need for us to meet purely for a relaxed social time. Spouses, partners, or caregivers are welcome to join us and they often do. We laugh, talk about lots of things besides cancer, and laugh some more. We also minister to one another through cards, gifts, or just by being attentive listeners. We provide ovarian cancer pamphlets/cards, and support fund raising activities. I am honored to be a part of this group of courageous and inspiring women.

Recently at my book launch for Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, four of the B.O.D.S. drove 20 miles or more to be there. I was overwhelmed with their kindness and support of me. While I did my presentation in front of some 75 people, I was encouraged by their eyes often filled with tears, smiles, and nods of heads in agreement. Afterwards they each hugged me and thanked me for writing this book, because so little is known about ovarian cancer.

I would love to hear about other groups that are supportive, helpful, and inspirational. You can also find more information about my book at www.outshineovariancancer.com.


1 comment:

Hanna said...

This group sounds beautiful, Karen. What a blessing. I'm glad to hear you're doing well-- although how could you not in Florida?