About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Be Gentle

A friend shared this quote with me yesterday "When you feel frustrated about your limitations, be gentle with yourself. Treat yourself as you would a loved one you're nurturing back to health...." How true! I remember those dark days of dealing with active cancer, surgery, and chemo with all the physical, emotional and spiritual reactions. At times I said, "I want my life back." Well, guess what?! I had my life. It was just a new life; a different life. In my book Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, you will learn how I turned cancer into another of life's many challenges I had faced. Seeing it as a challenge, not as a "why me," "punishment," or "my failure," etc. allowed me to nurture myself.

My mother was a wonderful role model when it came to dealing with health limitations. When she was 16 years old she developed rheumatic fever, which subsequently damaged her heart's mitral valve. She could not do the activities that teenagers and young women usually do...dancing, playing tennis (which she loved), going up and down stairs, be in high altitudes, active sports, and so on. She did have three children much against her doctor's advice, which further compromised her health. I never heard her complain about her limitations. Sometimes she pushed herself too far and then paid the price, but she enjoyed life and made the most of it.

Last week, I blogged about the flat tire and today's blog is basically the same subject. I felt it was worth repeating the theme, because a disease like cancer and its treatments takes so much out of the life we once enjoyed. The moral is: "Nurture myself as I nurture others."

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Congrats on getting through April. And I feel you with the walking exhaustion – but it’s great you went out. Step by step (after considerable rest) it really makes things easier. I hope the energy continues to build.