About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Appetite Changes

"Gosh, I was so hungry and now I am full after just a few bites," "My indigestion seems to be getting worse no matter what I eat or antacids I take," and "I just do not have much of an appetite anymore." These are typical statements that might be said by a woman with one of the symptoms of ovarian cancer.

Yet these sentences could also be said by any person who is experiencing non-cancerous stomach problems. Physicians could easily treat the symptoms conservatively, and not necessarily consider ovarian cancer as a possible diagnosis. Therefore, the woman would be well advised to monitor in writing how much of a meal typically can be eaten; how often or the time of day such difficulty of eating occurs; and if there is any indigestion, constipation or bloating. Physicians appreciate concrete, documented information; a concise family history of cancer; and the woman's personal health history.

If more than one symptom of ovarian cancer is present, or there is a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, or the gastrointestinal distress lasts longer than 3 weeks, then the woman needs to be assertive. The sooner she consults with a gynecological-oncologist the better, because he/she has the expertise and experience to do the appropriate tests and examination.

In my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, the reader learns what are the typical symptoms of ovarian cancer and what tests and treatments I had. I did not have any difficulty eating or digesting my food for which I am fortunate. However, the purpose of my book is to educate and inspire women. www.outshineovariancancer.com. If we all work together we can find a better method of detecting ovarian cancer, and someday a cure.


No comments: