About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Change: Good or Bad?

I have exactly 21 more days to sit in this office, at this desk, and look out this window. In three weeks we will pack the last box in the car and say "good-bye" to our Minnesota home, in which we have loved and labored for 23 years. Here is where I wrote my book Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir. I feel sad/glad. It is a positive change in that we no longer have stairs to climb several times a day; a garden that has grown too large (or have I slowed down?); leaving behind some exorbitant high taxes; plus all the additional costs of having two homes. It is sad to leave family and friends, but we look forward to visits.

So, here we come central Florida! Year round sunshine and warm to hot weather; a home on a lake; great friends; lower taxes; and year round golfing, boating, and gardening. All wonderful good changes.

When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer I thought that this life-changing event was bad, and the worse thing that could happen. I wish I had not gotten this particular disease, but for whatever the reason (genetics, diet, environment, bad karma, etc), I did. Despite the uglies of this particular change in my life, I have found incredible good. Yes, good. I have met the most inspirational women and their caregivers; been treated by kind, caring, and skilled doctors and nurses; I have a much deeper and meaningful relationship with God; and I live my life with much more gratitude and service.

I believe life is about letting go of one baton so you can grab onto the next baton. I will always have the wonderful memories of my Minnesota home as I build new memories in Florida...that is good. I let go of the baton of fear and anger with ovarian cancer and took hold of the baton to do whatever I can to educate and inspire women; to raise funds for research; and to do God's work. My book was designed and published to do all three. Change can be good; sometimes we just have to look for it.

4 comments:

WhiteStone said...

We always like to cling to the "good things" of the past, don't we? But I, too, have learned that looking forward is good and not to be feared.

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you for sharing.

Shirley Corder said...

Fabulous article, Karen. Thank you.

Hanna said...

That was beautiful, Karen. I love the idea of the baton. Best of luck in Florida in the new chapter of your life!