About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, May 25, 2012

A Dear Friend

As I get older a friendship becomes more valuable and appreciated. Recently I said goodbye to a dear friend, Betty Sue, who had won the challenge of ovarian cancer four years ago, then breast cancer less than a year ago, but succumbed to a massive stroke that left her without the ability to fight anymore.

The purpose of this blog is not to be morbid, but to actually celebrate the beautiful gifts we receive from friendships. Why do we develop a relationship with one person, but not another? Why do some friendships last for many years, while others only a relatively short time? Some friendships flow easily, yet others require more interaction. For me a friend is someone who is always there; a person who is a confidant; is trusting and honest; who freely shares tears and laughter; and with whom I build dreams and memories. A variety of friends are described in my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, and how important they were during that challenging journey.

"Every soul is a unique and beautiful gift from God,"is a phrase on a card I received during my cancer treatment. It describes how I see a friend...a unique and beautiful gift from God. So, Betty Sue, thank you for the friendship we shared and the wonderful memories you have left with me. Your spirit will be with me always.

What roles do friends play in your life? How do you see yourself as a friend? Did your friends change when you were faced with a difficult challenge such as divorce, a death, or serious illness?

1 comment:

Bob Lowke said...

Yes, Betty Sue was one of the most caring persons I ever met. She made the world a brighter place.