About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Birthdays

Today is my birthday. June 20th marks the 4th year since I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and I recognize it because it created a new me. I believe I am a better person since June 20, 2008. I am filled with so much more gratitude; I am closer to God; and I am living with a new mission in life.

I am inspired by the most amazing women who I would never have met were not for this cancer. I have been able to write, lecture, and teach about a subject I once knew so little. I have opened my eyes to God's wonderful gifts of the spirit; to truly see His work in people and nature; and to feel His love.

A friend sent an email today that in one part said: "Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live." So, today I will celebrate my 4th birthday without balloons, a cake, or presents, but with prayerful thankfulness and excitement to see what each new day brings.

3 comments:

Joan said...

Happy Birthday Karen!

Ashley ~ said...

I just found your blog and wanted to say hello. I love reading about the good ways Cancer has changed your life, because I feel the same way. There are so many wonderful people who have inspired me too, and wonderful gifts that God has given us that sometimes we are too busy to notice until we are forced to stop long enough to appreciate them. Thank you for your sweet post and Happy Birthday*! You're in my prayers*!

Karen Ingalls said...

Joan & Ashley, thank you for your birthday wishes and prayers.