About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Positive Thinking

This past week I experienced an event that caused a lot of stress and negativity for all of us involved. It can be so easy to slip into negative thinking about the who, why and what of an event, rather than looking to find what was beneficial or healthy.

I have never liked negative thinking or behavior in myself or in others. Since early childhood my grandparents were role models of positivity as compared to my parents. Fortunately I chose to model myself after my grandparents. By my early teens I was reading books by Albert Schweitzer and Norman Vincent Peale.

When I was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I was angry and was convinced that my life was over. Those feelings only lasted a couple of days and I began to look at my new life, my new reality, as a challenge. There were lessons to be learned; opportunities for new growth. I knew that the best way to help my body heal was to have a positive outlook; not bury my head in the sand; cooperate with medical advice and treatment; and not do a pity-party. I used prayer and meditation, exercise, good nutrition high in antioxidants, and tears to express any emotion. I believe that when we let tears flow, we let love in.

I incorporated these same techniques, for lack of a better word, and the stressful issue of last week was resolved by all parties. I learned some important lessons and believe I am a better person for it. As the saying goes, I made lemonade out of a lemon!

4 comments:

Hanna said...

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."
~Elizabeth K├╝bler-Ross.

Thank you for sharing your positivity, Karen!

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful quote. How fitting.

neenee smalley said...

Thank you for the inspirational words.

Karen Ingalls said...

I appreciate your support and interest in my blog.