About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Happiness



As Margaret Lee Runbeck stated, "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." How am I choosing to live my life? Am I trying to find the good or positive? Have I allowed a fear or lack of confidence to cloud my perspective? Do I let the reactions of others influence me?


I believe that I am the only one who can create happiness in me. When an event occurs I may find good things in it that will make me smile. Another person might experience that same event and may not find joy in it. At such times there is an opportunity for each person to learn from the other. Perhaps we might come to a deeper understanding, or see the event from a different perspective, or come to appreciate the differences in people. Happiness has levels of intensity, and will not always be a "Rocky Mountain high." Contentment is a wonderful state of happiness.

For me, how I live each moment of every day is an important key to experiencing happiness. I like the quote "Happiness is like jam, you can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself." (Vern McLellan) When we are around happy people it often affects us in a positive way; and the reverse is true for those who are sad or depressed. No one is happy all the time. Our feelings are changing sometimes minute to minute or day to day. 


When I travel in the manner of happiness, my mental, spiritual, and physical health is improved. I want to live with a smile to share with others; and lick the jam of happiness on my fingers!

4 comments:

Shirley Corder said...

Thank you Karen, for the reminder to look for things to be thankful for. You're right. We all see things differently, but we can all make an effort to live victoriously.

Anonymous said...

Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir.
An open, honest and emotional account of courage and cognition shared by a woman looking ino the face of her own mortality. A marvelous chronicle which Karen shares her gifts of endurance and positive mental attitude, demonstrating how to delight in Gods everyday presence. There is much to be learned, a true story that leaves you warmed.
A Love story. Karen, with her husband Jim, blend their fears and tears, their generous spirit, success and happiness. The challenges faced each day is a powerful reminder how this could be anyone's personal journey.
Please believe us. The tears, smiles, some chuckles and situations that warmed our hearts were just a few emotions we experienced, attaching us to each page.
Stan & Jayne Hamerski - Victoria, MN

Karen Ingalls said...

Shirley, I appreciate your kind remarks and insight. I pray that as you travel through life, it will be a journey of seeing the world as a half-full glass.

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you so much for your very kind words and support of me. I am grateful that you have been there for me the entire time; your prayers are appreciated; and your friendship and love are true gifts to me.