About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

"What We See"

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for," are words spoken by John Lubbock, who was a British statesman from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. I love this quote because it speaks to so many issues. What we hear depends on what we expect to hear; what we do is often a result of what we anticipate or think we should do; we expect to smell a rose, when it may be another less fragrant flower; and I look for a genuine hug, handshake, or arm around my shoulder.

We live according to what we expect, which is influenced by many factors including how we were raised, our education, role models, hormones, and our previous experiences. Every second of every day we are bombarded by our environment, our bodies' health status, and our most recent history. If I have a more positive outlook about life's events, I will see the glass half full. However, the opposite is true. The more I hang on to the image of the glass being half empty, the more difficult my life will be because of my reaction to it.

Do I see the trees through the forest? For me, the trees represent a lesson to be learned from each experience of one's life. I try to use my cancer as an opportunity to be a better person and to help others. Did I see last night's rainbow after the rainstorm, or was it just a spectrum of colors.

As I go through this life, I will try to see the trees and not just the forest. I will try to be more aware that what I see does depend mainly on what I am looking for.

2 comments:

neenee smalley said...

I look forward to Thursday's each week. Karen Ingalls words give me thoughts to ponder on in my life. Thank you

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you, NeeNee. The blogs require me to search my own issues and how I am living my life.