About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

God's Medicine Chest II




I am very pleased to present a guest blog from Shirley Corder, a breast cancer survivor, author, and Christian from South Africa. Please leave her your comments, and check out her links. 

Ms. Corder did this guest blog 2 years ago and since it was so well received I am presenting it again.




As a student nurse, I hated the subject of nutrition. Provided I ate what I considered to be a balanced diet, I believed I'd be fine.

Years later, after being diagnosed with fast-growing cancer, I was determined to do everything possible to fight the disease. I read every book I could find, flipping past chapters about food, so I could concentrate on the "important" parts.

But when I came to the end of a full year's treatment, I felt panic. I was no longer actively fighting the disease. What could I now do to restore my good health and build my immune system? How could I fight against a possible recurrence?

                                         Then I discovered God's medicine chest.

I visited a nutritionist, and discovered the "healthy" menu I served my family every day didn't have enough vegetables. And despite living in the Fruit Kingdom of the World, I often went for days without fruit.

The recommended daily requirements of fruit and vegetables made me full just to think of them. Following the expert's advice, I bought a juicer and commenced each morning with a cocktail of five raw fruits and vegetables.

                                                      **My energy levels started to rise.
                                                      **My passion for life was re-fired.

Instead of seeing fruit and vegetables as necessary food products, I saw them as God's provision to boost my health and immunity.

"Eat an assortment of colors," the nutritionist urged. "Especially the bright ones." Yellow and red fruits and veggies, I learned, are highest in anti-oxidants, so they are important weapons in our arsenal against cancer.

                          Did God deliberately make fruit and vegetables so attractive?
       Was it part of His plan, that some of the most valuable foodstuffs are also the brightest?

I don't know for sure, but nearly 15 years later, I rejoice in my good health, due at least in part, to the contents of God's medicine chest.

Further reading including many juicing recipes

SHIRLEY CORDER's book, Strength Renewed: Meditations for your Journey through Breast here to read more, and Rise & Soar, her website to encourage and inspire those on the cancer journey.


7 comments:

Terri Brunson said...

Now I understand the meaning of GOD's Medicine chest. It's made up of so many colors that will help most all to give you that nurishment of GOD's Medicine of healing that you need. I'm so glad I took the time and knowledge to take in what is good for me. Your a blessing Shirley,

Terri Brunson said...

Follow my blog Shirley, I hope you find my blog intereting http://inspirationalwomensocialclub.blogspot.com

Ruth Ann Dell said...

Hmmm you've inspired me to take out my juicer again and benefit from God's medicine chest. Thank you for an interesting blog.

Shirley Corder said...

Thank you Terri and Ruth Ann. Terry, thanks. I'm going to look at your site now. Enjoy your juicing ladies!

Clara Mae said...

I like the idea of juicing, though I would choose to keep fruits and vegetables separate, like juicing fruits in the morning and vegetables in the afternoon or evening.

Daphne Tarango said...

Shirley, I love fruits! Lately, I've been juicing them several times a week. Love it. In fact, I've been giving the kiddos a little to drink every time I make some for myself. At first, they didn't like it, but little by little, now they ask for it!

Continued blessings to you and your health!

Hugs,
Daphne

Shirley Corder said...

Clara and Daphne, I'm so sorry I only spotted this now. Thank you for your comments. Clara, you go for it. Separate them by all means. Personally I have grown to love adding beetroot (beet) to my fruit juice as it sweetens the tang of some citrus. The main thing is to drink it!
Daphne, I LOVE the fact that you're giving it your kids. This is the age we should start to fight cancer. Long before they're obviously at risk. You're building up their immunity as well as teaching them good habits that will protect their health in the future.