About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Planting Seeds of Life


This morning I planted a croton in a large pot, sat it on the plant stand, and decided that this colorful plant would be a welcome sight at our front door. I then went to my various plants scattered around the front and back yards; pulled some weeds; dead-headed the marigolds; cut back the impatients; then fed them all some fertilizer and water.




Robert Louis Stevenson said, "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant." I believe it also could be said, "Don't judge your life by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant." How am I living each day? Am I interacting with love in my heart? Have I been forgiving? Do I offer a helping hand?

Recently three of us were talking about our lives and the question came up, "What would you do over differently if you could?" One friend said, "There is not one thing in my life I would change," while two of us said there were some things we would do differently. We cannot go back and change the past; we can only live in the present. One important lesson I learned as a teenager was that I must plant the seeds of love, kindness, and generosity now. My favorite Bible verse then and now is: "I must work of Him while it is light, for the night cometh when no man can work." (John 9:4)

In my book Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, I share how this lesson was reinforced.  Bad, tough, or tragic things can still happen. They are the weeds of our lives. But if we live in the Light, the flowers  of goodness and love will grow.



1 comment:

michael shuttlesworth said...

Hey, karen very nice article and so true! Sometimes we find ourselves living in the past..why? There is a country song that says "Life is not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away"! we should all live like this, doing for others, always reaching out.
I am going to post a link to this article on my blog :)
Michael