About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Challenge to Survive

From the 2012 Ovarian Cancer Survivor's Course in September these facts were presented. First, roughly about 60 to 70% of patients have advanced (metastatic) disease at diagnosis. Secondly, surgery and platinum-based chemotherapy are effective at producing clinical remission for 75% or more of patients. Finally, roughly 2/3 of patients in remission relapse with disease within 5 years, and require multiple ongoing interventions. These facts make it all the more imperative to encourage women (and some physicians) to respond to the body's subtle warning signs. In Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, the subtle symptoms and risk factors are discussed. Proceeds from the sales of the book go to ovarian cancer research.

Like the turtle in the photo, it symbolizes how many of us who  are facing ovarian cancer feel. Just like the turtle we have to make decisions that will help us to survive. Will the turtle slowly move back and try to get away in the grass or under a log (should I do lots of research, get second opinions, try alternative medicine); should the turtle just sit there, hoping the alligator will lose interest (if I do nothing, will the cancer go away); or will the turtle go into its shell (should I get surgery and chemotherapy as soon as possible)? Actually, the turtle's best defense mechanism is going into its shell. According to "Scienceray" only alligators, killer whales and large sharks can penetrate its hard shell. However, the turtle is not a gator's favorite choice of food because of the challenge in chomping through some turtle's shells.

So I believe that just from the medical perspective, to give women the best chance to survive ovarian cancer is two-fold. One, get an early diagnosis by responding to the symptoms; and two, have an gynecologic-oncologist surgeon do the necessary surgery and provide the chemotherapy regimen. Recognizing the symptoms is such an important, yet difficult, key; therefore, I ask you, my blog readers, to talk to the women in your lives about this cancer's whispering symptoms.

2 comments:

tahera said...

Thank you for posting about cancer, I would like to also talk about cancer centers in Georgia which could be of great help to treat cancer. Great post, keep writing.

Shirley Corder said...

Thanks Karen. As a 15-year survivor of breast cancer with glandular involvement, I totally agree with you. Early detection and prompt and aggressive treatment. At our first meeting, my oncologist said to me he didn't believe in fighting the 3rd World War with 2nd World Weapons. I hated that he was right at the time, but today I give thanks daily!