About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fountain of Joy

The good news is the following statistic: in 1975, the survival rate for ovarian cancer was 9 months, but in 2012 it is now 5 1/2 years. I learned this at the 2012 Ovarian Cancer Survivor's Course last week in Orlando. I celebrate the progress that has been made, and I am optimistic that the future holds great promise for all cancers.



I like the image of a fountain of joy. I see a beautiful area in nature with a fountain of clear, sparkling water that sprays droplets of joy into the basin below into which I can dip my hands; drink the water; or splash water onto my face. Last week we talked about the power, vastness, and importance of water, and today I am using it as a symbol of happiness. A cold glass of water refreshes your dry and drenched throat on a hot summer day; the relaxation a shower or bath provides on a sore or tired body; the overwhelming feeling when the ritual of baptism is performed; or the peace that comes from just watching the rhythmic waves of an ocean. These are all examples of the fountain of joy. Can you think of others?

Several times at the Ovarian Cancer Survivor's Course, I wiped away tears of joy: learning from the professionals who are dedicated to the cause of finding answers to the suffering of others; listening to some survivors share their stories; hearing about the tireless work of OCAF and its volunteers; and I bathed in the warmth of love, acceptance, and earnestness. While on our afternoon break I was told that a dear friend was being removed from life support. "In times of care and sorrow, keep a fountain of joy alive in you." (Dietrich Bonhoffer) I went to the fountain to shed my tears of sorrow and also be refreshed by splashing the water of hope that the Survivor's Course provided.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Duluth MN last weekend enjoying the beautiful waves rolling into the rocky shore of lake superior. The clearness of the water was amazing, I could see deep down into the bottom of the lake where the large bolders lay so still. I of course had to put my hands and feet into the water, it was very cold, but refreshing and delightful. It gave me a sense of comfort and peace just being near it and seeing it. In the evening there was a moon path that reflected off the water and left me with a message that said "you are on the right path Amy". I love water and how it makes me feel.. Thank you Karen.

Karen Ingalls said...


I have been to Duluth many times and I can visualize your recent experience. Thank you for sharing, Amy.

Sandy Nachlinger said...

Thank you for publishing the 2012 statistics. That's sure good news! My mom passed away from ovarian cancer, and I have a pelvic ultrasound every year, just in case. So I'm sure relieved that the odds have improved.
Regarding the soothing power of water: Since we're having an exceptionally dry period here in the Pacific Northwest, I immediately thought of soft falling rain. I'd love to hear that gentle sound.

Sharla L. Shults said...

That is great news about the statistics! Thank you for sharing. There is hardly a family that has not experienced some form of cancer whether immediate family or ancestry. Started following you on Twitter.

Dee said...

I've attended two Survivor's courses and both of them gave me hope for the future.
I hope you don't mind that I added your blog to mine. I follow you on twitter too.

Servivorgirl said...

Wow, what a truly uplifting message. Thank you for posting.

Dr. Margaret Aranda said...

Great news on the statistics! How encouraging that the future can only get better!