About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Highway 1, Northern California

Map of Highway 1, California:

"Why don't you drive the rest of the way to Monterey?" my husband asked. We had driven 14 miles from San Simeon to Ragged Point, CA, where we stopped for a delicious breakfast. Jim did not want to drive the winding, narrow road of Highway 1 for the rest of the trip that day. Despite the fact that we were on the mountain side (going north), and he did not have to look down a sheer cliff to the rocks and sea below, he held the car door with a white knuckled grip.

I have blogged about fear before. Fear in itself is not always bad, but sometimes it does "stop us in our tracks." If we remain in a constant state of fear it will adversely affect our health by increasing blood pressure, heart rate, respirations, and mentally/emotionally depress us. For two to three days the ovarian cancer diagnosis caused fear that kept me in its power. Then I faced it through learning about the cancer, trusting my doctor and nurses, and most importantly, giving the fear to God.

                 Try to relax and enjoy the scenery," I said, but the fear of heights was strong and Jim was only able to relax when the road straightened and was not so close to the edge. No matter the degree of fear, it can prevent us from enjoying certain aspects of life or to rationally face certain situations. As beautiful as the scenery of Highway 1 is, it is a road that can test the patience, reflexes, and good driving skills of tourists and natives alike. Rock slides, earthquakes, and car accidents are not unusual.

But, Jim did not let his fear stop him; he trusted my driving skills; and we both prayed for God's angels to guide and protect us. Our reward was to spend two days in the beautiful and charming areas of Carmel and Monterey. It is an area that is one of God's masterpieces. Thank you, God.

2 comments:

Laura Bazerman-Swanson said...

Hi Aunt Karen. I really liked this post. I feel the same as Uncle Jim. When Karl & I drove this road, I was held in the grip of fear and had to give up that fear and put my trust in God, And Karl's driving ability to get us through. It was a great experience... one that I would have regretted not doing. I just overcame it again when Karl & I recently zip lined in Alaska. I sometimes get very bad vertigo and it was a very big fear basher to be able to get hooked to a cable and free fall over the forest.

As always, thanks for sharing your blog!
Love Laura

ovariancancerjourney said...

When I ziplined in Costa Rica I was so scared until after the first one. Then I enjoyed it. Congratulations to you facing your fear and "beating it."