About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Seeds of Life

Have you ever paid any attention to the size of a grape seed? They are small and yet think of what each seed produces: wine, grape juice, jams, jellies, oils, and extracts, all of which have healthy benefits. On our recent trip to northern California we marveled at the thousands (maybe millions) of acres of vineyards in the narrow Sonoma and Napa Valleys and the vast San Joaquin Valley. It was Italian immigrants, who came to this area of California with their precious vines, and found the perfect soil and climate. Red wine has more flavonoids than white, but both are rich in Vitamin E.


I believe the mustard seed is one of the smallest seeds with a radius of 1millimeter. According to Kundan Pandey, "They activate biochemical processes of the body and encourage healing....the seeds help to keep us healthy and fit." (Buzzle) The seed can be ground to form a spice, oil, or the very popular condiment mustard. Such a small seed produces a tall plant of which 90% is used.

When I was about 10 years old my grandmother gave me a necklace that was essentially one mustard seed set in a round magnifying glass. She referred to the Bible verse: "You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there', and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20 New Living Translation)

A human comes from an even smaller "seed"; the union of the sperm and the egg. We are each a miracle, blessed with our unique bodies, personalities, and abilities. Just like the grape and mustard seeds we can and do affect the lives of everyone with whom we come in contact. So, some important questions for me to ask myself are: Do I affect people in positive and loving ways? Am I living each day to its fullest? Do I give back as much as I receive? Do I have a faith that gives me strength and peace; that can move mountains?

I invite you to share your thoughts, because we can learn from each other. We are all connected. Without the seed, there would be no plant and vice versa. So it is true for the human, we cannot exist without other people. Read Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir to learn how I experienced more connectedness to people and grew in my spirituality.








                                                     

4 comments:

Nike Chillemi said...

Wonderful blog you have here. So uplifting. Love the Scripture.

As a culture we go out of our way to avoid seeds in foods. I wonder if that's not detrimental to our health. We eat grapes w/no seeds. Watermellon w/o seeds.

Karen Ingalls said...

An interesting thought about how we are eating less fruits with their seeds. Thank you for your comment, Nike

Anonymous said...

I too have a mustard seed necklace set just as Karen described, in a round magnifying glass on a delicate chain. I believe there is a reason I have saved this unique seed for more than 40 years.

My journey with ovarian cancer has seemed impossible, yet with each passing day I strive to accept that which I cannot change. By doing that, I refuse to give in to its power to hold me captive. To move that mountain (to conquer my fear), I try to live each day to its fullest.

Christine

Karen Ingalls said...

How beautifully written. I so wish I still had that mustard seed necklace, but it disappeared sometime. I just do not know when. However, it is something that I think about from time to time.