About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Kindness: How Do You Make People Feel?

Maya Angelou said it so poignantly: "...people will forget what you said...what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." I have been thinking about the acts of kindness I have either recently heard about or witnessed. Recently a blogger invited her followers to volunteer two cards a month to send to those serving in the military(cathybiggerstaff.blogspot.com); raffle tickets sold for a donated quilt and basket of toys for a youngster who needs surgery for her epilepsy; my daughter-in-law volunteering her time to help in Guatemala; or the warm and friendly personnel at the Publix store.  Ask yourself, "How am I making people feel?"

Kindness creates more kindness and, unfortunately, the reverse is also true. I like to think of kindness like a tree spreading its roots. "A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees." (Amelia Earhart) While we were in the beautiful Redwood forests, we saw new rings of tree sprouts from burls around the trunk base of a burned or fallen tree.  If they sprouted, the parent tree's roots were used by the saplings. There would not be the majestic redwood trees if they did not rely on one another; grow from and beside one another. How kind!


The Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons are fast approaching, so let us each be like a root of a tree and spread kindness around. For what we give out, will be returned.

***Check out "Veterans Day" on Joyful Journey at cathybiggerstaff.blogspot.com for information on cards for the military.***


4 comments:

Servivorgirl said...

This is so true. The reminder is important because especially when we are in need of care, we get stressed and need help ourselves. If we can take a deep breath and remember that people are good and they want to help and do all we can to treat them well, it comes back around. I got your message, and do wish you could attend the seminar...Peace and happy holidays to you..

Karen Ingalls said...

I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving Day, and I thank you for all you do to promote ovarian cancer awareness and information. I invite my followers to see your blogs at: www.nobodyhasovariancancer.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

May I add this perspective about kindness?
In my experience, as with Karen's examples above, kindness can be found in some of the most unexpected places.

Recently, several of us were working late, no overtime pay compensation, working because we needed to finish up the day. I glanced up and happened to look out our 7th floor west-facing window, only to see the most gorgeous sunset.

It was a breath taking view of oranges and golds...the first thing that popped into my mind was what I said: Look at that view-it's worth a million dollars. Others moved toward that direction, looked, smiled, relaxed for a moment. After that, the stress of staying late was lessened for me and perhaps for others.

Christine

Karen Ingalls said...

A beautiful example of looking at kindness from another angle. I am sure most people relate to the peace and joy that sunsets (and most of nature) provide.