About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

God's Grip: Taking Life Day By Day

I am pleased to introduce my guest blogger, Elaine Stock.  It has been my honor and privilege to meet her through the medium of cyberspace. I invite you to leave comments, and continue to be connected with her on her blog and Facebook site, which are listed below.


"I'm dying," she said.

     There was a collective gasp throughout the classroom. We were twelfth graders taking a semester of psychology; some of us were genuinely interested in studying what made others tick, then there were those students who thought this elective class would be a no-brainer A. It turned out that it didn't matter since our teacher was excellent in getting us to extend our adolescent soupy brains.
     What was this guest speaker doing standing in front of the classroom, telling us she was dying? We were kids. We had at least a half million years of life ahead of us. Who wanted to deal with death?
    Then, her next line tipped our desks even more. "You're dying too. From the moment we're born we spend each second dying, each second that we age we draw nearer to death."
    You must admit this speaker knew how to seize a teen's brain. But, is it true? Do we spend each second of life dying, or do some of us spend each second living?

Death surrounds us.

    A guest on my blog, Everyone's Story, slated for mid-December, just perished in a house fire the day after Thanksgiving. Her husband was beside her in this tragedy.
    Back in the 80's and 90's I lost three women in my life: my mother, grandmother, and my aunt. Five years ago my oldest childhood friend died after a 13-year battle with breast cancer.
    I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I presently know quite a few people struggling with either cancer or some other horrid disease. As for myself, I've had a few scares, but thank God each episode was benign.

God's grip.

    This is probably an odd piece to write before Christmas and the New Year holidays. Please don't think of me as Bah! Humbug! Scrooge-ish.
    As a Christian I know Heaven is nothing short of...well, heaven...eternal bliss. Hey, count me in! But do I want to rush it? Of course not. Why? Honestly, I don't know what tomorrow will bring. Life is rough. Life is interesting. Life is scary. Life is a bowl of mixed fruit: some sweet, others tart.
    All I know is that I'm living. I'm dying. I'm holding onto Christ's hands tighter and tighter these days, breathing a bit easier because I know that although my hands may get sweaty with human anxiety, I know that God forever has a grip on my hand.




Author's Bio:

Elaine Stock never expected that a college major in psychology and sociology would walk her through the see-saw industries of food service and the weight-loss business; co-ownership with her husband in piano restoration; and ten years in community leadership. All great fodder for creating fiction. 
Elaine’s blog, Everyone’s Story (http://elainestock.blogspot.com), has been graced by an awesome international viewership from over 125 countries. Everyone’s Story hosts weekly interviews and reflections from published authors unpublished writers and readers who share inspirational stories.
A former RWA member, she has presented writing workshops. Presently involved in ACFW, she was a 2011 semi-finalist in the prestigious Genesis Contest in the contemporary fiction division. Her first short story was published on Christian Fiction Online Magazine.

With her own childhood void of God, and becoming a Christian first in her twenties, she is targeting her novels to adult audiences with the central theme that God’s unconditional and always-present love is with each one of us, even during tough times. 






14 comments:

Elaine Stock said...

Karen, thanks for hosting me.

Connie Almony said...

Amen to that. God has us just where He wants us.

LornaFaith said...

Karen thanks for hosting Elaine on your blog. Elaine, as always thanks for sharing your heart. God does forever have a grip on my hand...and I'm so thankful for that!

Elaine Stock said...

And I'm learning more and more not to fight it. I pray for all those who are battling with cancer or any problem, be it minor or major, passing or chronic or worse, that we don't blame God as the one who causes it but that we just keep our eyes focused on His love for us and that He will get us through it all.

Elaine Stock said...

Thanks for visiting Karen's blog, Lorna. You're blessed to be held in God's grip, and I've been blessed to have gotten to know you.

Lynne said...

Karen .. thank you for hosting this. Elaine, I think you are spot on, God has us in his grip, and while the Eternal kingdom is nothing that I fear, I think God is still writting my story with me here on Earth. When the time get tough, and they do for us all in different ways, I too remember that during those times, and that God & along with each of us continue to write HIS love story for our lives together. Thank you both.

Elaine Stock said...

Lynne, thanks for visiting Karen's blog. I've been learning these past few years that I am my Father' work in progress and He has a lot more polishing to do. What more, I am also learning that I'm grateful for that!

Linda Rondeau said...

I might have cancer, but i prefer to be living through the experience not letting it make me be afraid.

JoAnn Durgin said...

Elaine, this post immediately captured my interest. I'm sorry for the loss of your loved ones because of cancer, and I pray for your continued good health, my friend. Especially in light of the horrific events in Connecticut yesterday, your sentiment about not knowing what tomorrow brings tugs at my heart. While doing laundry on a Saturday morning, I listened to Good Morning America. A priest who had the life-changing duty to confirm to parents this morning that their child had perished in that school tragedy said one mother told him her child asked just yesterday, "Mommy, what's dying like?" You think children don't think of such things, but why this child on that particular day? As a Christian, I cling to His promises and know that yes, He holds tomorrow. I can't imagine being lost in this sinful world without those promises. Blessings, friends. Thanks to Karen for hosting this wonderful blogger.

Nancy Loyan Schuemann said...

Thanks Elaine. Like the commenter above, reading this piece today put the tragedy in Connecticut in perspective. We really don't know what tomorrow will bring. There are no guarantees. Thus, we have to embrace life as well as our loved ones. Our future is in God's hands.

Elaine Stock said...

Linda, you've become an extraordinary role model for me these past few months. May God bless you with renewed health.

Elaine Stock said...

Well said, Nancy. We are truly blessed to realize this. And I'm truly blessed to have you as my friend. Thanks for visiting Karen's blog.

Elaine Stock said...

JoAnn, I read your comment at 3:30 AM this morning before leaving for work and your thoughts have remained with me the whole day... sobering words that priest heard. Wow. When I first heard of the news (as I was leaving work yesterday) I prayed for those children to be filled with heaven's joys, and for their families, and for all of us. No loss is easy. No suffering is easy. By nature, I'm a wimp. That's why I daily need to remind myself that God wants to hold my hand, and that I need Him to hold my hand.

Anonymous said...

I try to live day by day with a sense of gratitude, which might be a variant of God's Grip on my Hand.

Each day, I try to look for what's right instead of what's wrong. It makes me feel good to notice The Good or Right. In turn, this sets up the expectation that good things are going to happen to me.

Having a joyful heart makes me want to live life to the fullest, allowing me to ignore that I am dying too.

Christine