About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child, but my first published book came as a result of my ovarian cancer diagnosis. The title is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

CELL WAR NOTEBOOKS: A JOURNEY WITH CERVICAL CANCER

In Cell War Notebooks, you will be deeply touched by the spirit and courage of the young author. This blog is part of a worldwide movement to increase cervical cancer awareness on this the last day of January, this particular cancer's month.
                 
DID YOU KNOW?

YES, cervical cancer is detectable through the PAP smear.

     NO, it is not 100% curable

         YES, its symptoms usually appear after the cancer is advanced, which are vaginal bleeding,
                   pelvic pain, or painful intercourse.

              NO, the cause(s) are unknown except HPV (humanpapillomavirus) "plays a role."

                  YES, there are risk factors such as many sexual partners, early sexual activity, weak
                            immune system, and smoking.

Julie Forward DeMay died August 10, 2009 when she was only 37 years old. She had regular PAP tests and was diagnosed to be at an early stage in January 2008. She had a radical hysterectomy and was considered to be cured, but the cancer came back aggressively when it spread to her lungs.

Cell War Notebooks, is a compilation of Julie's blogs and made into a book by her mother. Proceeds go to a fund for Julie's young daughter. The book is available on Amazon.com.

PLEASE forward this blog to your friends; buy the book; and help get the word out about cervical cancer.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this most informative summary about cervical cancer. It is a cancer that I am not familiar with, similar to ovarian cancer in that regard, that is until I was diagnosed with ovarian. Then it shouts and I heard it, but too late. One wonders why this or that symptom, whether it be cervical or ovarian, was taken for granted, instead of questioning why and seeking medical advice sooner rather than later.

Whatever the signal, sometimes I think we are so wound up in our life activities and so busy that we hardly have time to think about our body and our health unless we are cut and bleeding-you know. Not that I think we need to be paranoid about either, but I remember the saying that if I don't take care of my body, no one else will. If I don't care, who will?

I think my message is that we need to tune in to what life and our body is telling us. Both tell us much, if we just have time to listen.

Forgive me for digressing from cervical cancer to other areas, but lack of cancer awareness sure gets us women in trouble.

Christine

Karen Ingalls said...

All your points are well taken. We do need to listen to our bodies AND be informed as to what might be symptoms of concern. Cancer is insidious; it creates fear; and we rationalize or ignore what our bodies may be shouting at us. I appreciate your input into this blog.
February is National Cancer Prevention month so perhaps we can get the word out about ovarian and cervical cancers.

from Lorraine said...

Well done Karen, for opening the eyes of women and girls. You may like to have a blog write up on How To Care For - Ovarian Cancer on my How To Care For Info blog http://howtocareforinfo.blogspot.co.uk/
srcoll down blog write ups to see how
Love from Lorraine A. Jones
P.S. you may like yo LIKE my Facebookpage
http://www.facebook.com/rightofwaysithappens
Love from Lorraine A. Jones

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you, Lorraine, for visiting my blog. No matter the gynecological cancer, we as women must know the symptoms and listen to our bodies. I will check out your FB pages.

God bless.
Karen

Kim_Burns said...

A great book. This is something that every woman should be aware of. I appreciate all the necessary information you have given here. Ovarian Cancer is in fact one the easiest cancers women can control. This is as per the cancer alternative treatment center in our area. Great book. Thanks for sharing!

Karen Ingalls said...

Did you mean cervical, or ovarian, is one of the easiest cancers women can control? PAP smears are effective only for cervical, not ovarian.

Thank you for your input, Kim. I know Julie's family appreciates your comments and support.

Blessings,
Karen

Kim_Burns said...

Hi Karen, yeah. Sorry about that. In other countries, I have seen commercials about cervical cancer vaccines and stuff like that to help women in their country be aware and be cervical cancer free. I'm so anxious so see this, I should see this. :)

Karen Ingalls said...

Most cervical cancers are caused by the sexually transmitted virus HPV, according to Mayo Clinic. Here is a link to an excellent article: www.mayoclinic/health/cervical-cancer-vaccine/WO00120/NSECTIONGROUP=2.

Thank you for your interest.