About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, January 4, 2013

OUTSHINE: BEING A BRIGHT SPOT FOR SOMEONE


     Now that the busy-ness of Christmas, Hannukah, and New Year celebrations are in our memories, I made the following resolution:

                            At least once each day, I will be a bright spot by giving someone a compliment.

     Last summer I did a presentation for my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, for the Bright Spots group at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. A few days later one of Mayo's administrative assistants, received this email:

              "So right after hearing our guest speaker, Karen Ingalls, I get back to my desk and I have a message to call a patient. The patient has questions about her upcoming chemotherapy appts and also feels like she just isn't progressing with her postop recovery. Ok I have to be honest...I'm thinking in my head while talking to her that everything sounds fine with her and she's going on and on and on and I've got lots more to do...so let's hurry this conversation along! Well, then a little voice came to me and said, "Jdee--slow down--remember the message you just got from Karen that we should listen to our patients. I thought wow--this is timely! Ok, so I took a deep breath and then really began to listen to her. We ended up having a lovely conversation. I got to know that she lived alone and was really having a difficult time adjusting to her cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy. When we came time to say our good-byes she thanked me for taking the time to talk to her. At this point I felt a bit guilty--'cause if only she knew what I was thinking when we first started talking. And then she asked if it would be ok to call me again just to talk if she needed to. Here my heart softened and I realized that I became a bright spot for her without knowing or even maybe wanting to and in return she became a needed bright spot for me."

Being A Bright Spot: Shining Through


     The writer's message taught me a lesson, which is one that many of us would be wise to learn.
 

     I invite you to make a resolution by completing the following: "I resolve to be a bright spot to others by ______________________________________________________________________."     Click on comment below and share your resolution.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slowing down and taking the time to give the person right in front of me my full attention. Embracing the spirit of compassion, empathy, kindness and love.

Amy Ingalls

Karen Ingalls said...

You are a bright spot in my life and I know you are for hundreds of others.

Kathleen said...

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last June 12th 2012. Just finished my chemo two weeks ago and have been following your blog..I am a Hairdresser so I have that touchy, feely personality and my journey has lead me to be a positive figure in other cancer patient's lives & also their care takers. I have started a blog on so many of my friends request but don't know how to make it professional like yours is..If I tell my story too, our word of awareness will get out there. Any idea where I can go for help with my blog? Because I am such a warrior my friend's are trying to talk me into writing a book..I have a passion to educate other woman, hold hands through their battles. Since I am still in active treatment with my ovarian cancer I think I can help others. Any reccomendation's? Sincerely, Kathy

Karen Ingalls said...

Kathleen, I would love to follow your blog and support it in any way I can. I do not think we can have too many books, blogs, speakers, etc about ovarian cancer...we are all in this together and we need to get the word out.
In doing my blog, I just followed the instructions of bloodspot. When I ran into things I did not know how to do, I asked a friend to help me who is pretty wise about this kind of stuff. And, thank you for the compliment about my blog.
Just as I have always done, I kept a journal about my journey with ovca, which then became a book. My memory and thinking processes were quite affected by the chemo so the journal was a great help to me. Please feel free to email me and we can correspond more. God bless you and your positivity is and will be a bright spot to others.

Servivorgirl said...

by sharing more good news, positive messages and also listening more carefully as I go through my recurrence.

Thank you Karen for reinvigorating my day. What a wonderful post....

xox Denise

Karen Ingalls said...

Can you imagine how much more wonderful the world would be if we each did as you say? If we shared more good news, positive messages and listened more carefully...a more peaceful life would be there for us to enjoy. What you shared brought brightness into my day.