About Me

My Photo
My journey in surviving ovarian cancer has been a difficult one, and also rewarding. I have met many wonderful people, learned a lot about myself, and have a deeper appreciation for life. Follow me on Twitter @KarenIngalls1, www.facebook.com/Outshine-An-Ovarian-Cancer-Memoir, and you can find my book at: http://www.outshineovariancancer.com. Proceeds will be donated to funding ovarian cancer research. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2013.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

PAYING IT FORWARD

     "God needed me more" were the last words spoken by a boy of 9 years old, which he said to his father shortly before he passed away On November 27, 2012, he lost his 2 year battle with cancer. That young man was Jayden Lamb, whose short life has had a profound affect on people around the world. The parents found that reaching out to people helped them cope with their loss. So they paid for the order given by the car behind them at the fast food restaurant. They wanted to "pay it forward." Their kind gesture was repeated again and again by the cars in line; and like an uncontrolled wildfire, acts of kindness spread. These actions reflected the true nature of Jayden.


 Perhaps God needed him more, but we humans need his legacy of love and kindness. Last week I shared my new year's resolution of "At least once each day I will be a bright spot by giving someone a compliment." In the Bible it says "As we sow so shall we reap." Let's be generous, polite, helpful, and minister to all. Many people need to be hugged. Pay it forward with those in your home, your neighbors, and spread your kindness to strangers. Even animals need for us to pay it forward.
                                       

     I direct you to the following links to learn more about this remarkable young man and his family: www.facebook.com/KeepOnTruckinTeamJayden?filter=2; www.minbcnews.com; www.cbsnews.com/.../brief-life-of-michigan-boy; shine.yahoo.com/.../paying-forward-jayden-style-random.

Please share about your times of paying it forward. On the 16th of January, I will post this blog and accompanying comments to Jayden's Facebook page so the family will know how their son's life has affected each of us.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot Karen for putting this blog on my facebook page. I recently lost a good friend to Blood Cancer Leukaemia - we used to meet while picking up our daughters outside the school.
    She was a Doctor herself and her daughter and my daughter joined their First Day at school together hitting off so well as little toddlers...
    I still can't get over it somehow... Just read your post that 'God needed him more' and the block I was feeling in putting this down somehow lifted... I wept. I wept and sobbed the whole day and prayed for her soul to rest in peace.
    I explained to my daughter that her best friend's Mom has gone to Ganesha, God to help him in his work of taking care of the earth and all the little ones and parents here.
    Sending you all my best wishes n hugs.
    Hope my prayers do reach her too .... will miss her forever, I wish I had met her just that one more time again and hugged her one more time so tight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always sad to say goodbye to those we love. Your friend 's life was richer because you were int,,,what a wonderful gift.
      God bless you, and you are blessed to have the memories of your friendship.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post, Karen. I lived in Chicago over the summer, and drove home once a week to visit my parents in the suburbs. The tolls in Chicago are absolutely obnoxious—$1.90 each way—and one day I only had a five-dollar bill, so I decided to pay for the car behind me. I didn’t know who they were, but the idea of someone pulling up to the toll booth, ready to fork over their cash, and being told that a stranger had already paid for them, put a spring in my step for the rest of the day. It felt so good, that I started making it a habit to pay for the person behind me every time I had extra cash. For the longest time, I didn’t tell anyone about it—it was like carrying secret sunshine in my pocket. I don’t know if anyone ever paid it forward, but I like to think that I made people smile, maybe even made their day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your phrase "secret sunshine in my pocket." Though we do not always know the results of when we "pay it forward" I will bet that 99.9% of the time it brings a smile to the receiver's face. Keep it up to help make the world a happier place.

    ReplyDelete