About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

WHAT CANCER CANNOT DO

                                     

From my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, is this piece of prose:

                                  WHAT CANCER CANNOT DO

                                          It cannot invade the soul,
                                          Suppress memories,
                                          Kill friendship,
                                          Conquer the spirit,
                                          Shatter hope,
                                          Cripple love,
                                          Corrode faith,
                                          Steal eternal life,
                                          Silence courage.

                                                          (Author Unknown)

  •       Cancer is cells growing out of control. Humans as well as animals have had cancer throughout recorded history. There have been many theories (attachment below) as to its cause: chronic, infectious (16th Century), lymphatic (1700's), humoral (Hippocrates) to blastema (1830's).  
  •      How do we get cancer? Is it all genetic? or chemical? or environmental? We know smoking is a contributing factor for many cancers. The government of Canada has banned the use of BPA in consumer products as described by Valerie Johnston's report (see attachment below). Researchers know that the mutated BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes have direct links to breast and ovarian cancers. We do not have all the answers as to what causes any cancer, but science is making headway.
  •      For me, I believe in following the healthy guidelines by Mayo Clinic which were presented in my blog "What Is So Special About February?" dated February 6, 2013. I will read about the latest research and come to informed decisions about what I believe is right for me. 
  •     The ovarian cancer might return or I might develop another kind of cancer. What is important is not letting cancer rule my life; I will embrace the words of What Cancer Cannot Do, instead.
  •      It is important to support the research being done. Proceeds from my book go to ovarian cancer research at Mayo Clinic and Florida Hospital, where I know the money goes to research.



www.outshineovariancancer.com

www.cancer.or/cancer/cancerbasics/thehistoryofcancer/the-history-of-cancer-what-is-cancer


file://localhost/Users/jringalls/Documents/Is%20There%20a%20Link%20Between%20BPA%20and%20Ovarian%20Cancer_208.doc

3 comments:

Shirley Corder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirley Corder said...

Amen to what cancer cannot do. I have a similar article on my website entitled Two Things Cancer Doesn't Change. (http://riseandsoar.com/?461). It just shows it's not as all powerful as 'it' likes to think! Thanks for this Karen.

Karen Ingalls said...

Shirley, your website is always an inspiration to me, just as your book (Strength Renewed) was. When I received the piece of prose "What Cancer Cannot Do" it lifted me up and it became part of a mantra.
Thank you for your thoughts. They are appreciated.