About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child, but my first published book came as a result of my ovarian cancer diagnosis. The title is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT FEBRUARY?

There are two reasons February is special: love and cancer.

February 14th is all about LOVE, which we show through gifts, cards, dates, or visits. It is a time to let the special people in our lives know how much we care about them.

            "Why don't we do that everyday?!"

Did I say, "I love you" to my husband? Did I tell a friend how much their friendship means to me? When was the last time I spontaneously sent a card or paid a visit to a shut-in or someone alone? Have I picked a flower from the garden or made some cookies to share? Did I smile at people as I passed them by?

            "Acts of love should be every day!"


February is National Cancer Prevention month. Let's show our bodies that we love them by doing what we can to keep them healthy. No, the medical professionals do not know what exactly causes cancer, but they do believe that there are certain contributing factors. Love your body by following these 7 tips from Mayo Clinic:

             Stop using tobacco
             Eat lots of vegetables and fruits, limit fat, and use alcohol moderately
             Exercise or be physically active daily,
             Protection from the sun,
             Hepatitis B and HPV immunizations,
             Avoid risky behaviors (have safe sex and don't share needles)
             Get regular medical check-ups.

Show your love to others and to yourself every day. February is special because it reminds us of the power of love.

     



6 comments:

Shirley Corder said...

So true, Karen. And then having made the difference in February, stick with the changes for the rest of the year!

Karen Ingalls said...

I am going to try to make every month, February! Thank you for your comment. Have a wonderful day.

Amy Freeman said...

Love this, Karen. We truly need to take advantage of life. Not always easy to do, but so important. Each day is a second chance!

Karen Ingalls said...

Amy, it is so true that each day is a second chance. I think about Albert Schweitzer's book and philosophy, Reverence for Life, which had such a big impact on me as a teenager.
Thank you for coming to my site. God bless.

madhavi sood said...

Quite so true Dear Karen and yes, every day and moment if lived fully, joyously and with gratefulness for Life is indeed a Life fulfilled! True 14th February is special and yes, any day could be Valentines if only one cares to express... I'm grateful and feel loved and cherish all the moments with my husband and family and my little daughter, feel blessed simply to be, to be alive!
Best Wishes and lots of hugs on Valentines Day !
Though being typed today as I was off the net for a while now...
Sincere Regards

Karen Ingalls said...

Each day can be a day of love as you so eloquently write. I thank God every day for the blessings of family, friends, and health.

Wishing you God's blessings.
Karen