About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

BUTTERFLIES: SYMBOLS OF HEALING & LIFE


HEALING:

Such a wonderful journey this butterfly has been on to become one of God's most beautiful creatures. 

In my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, I share how imagery and meditations helped me face the cancer, and put my body in a balanced state. One of my favorite meditations leads me in visualizing butterflies healing my body. At the conclusion I see the butterflies leave my body carrying with them any disease or imbalance or negativity.


HUMAN LIFE:

We spend time in our mothers' wombs gathering nutrition, forming our bodies, and maturing to an age where we can live in the world. Then as children and adults our lives are filled with joy and sorrow, fear and courage, disappointment and enrichment, and so many more times of valleys and mountains. Once our earthly lives are over, I believe we go to be with God.

                               FOR THE BUTTERFLY:



The egg is tiny, oval or round, and is often deposited on a leaf, a great source of food for the soon to be caterpillar.






The caterpillar gorges himself with food preparing to go into a cocoon in order for the butterfly to be born.  It is a time of growth and it often sheds his skin three or four times to accomodate his growing body.







The pupa or chrysalis is a time of rest and the tissues
of what once was the caterpillar are broken down...
and the legs, wings, and body of the butterfly are formed.



  The mature butterfly lays her eggs to begin the cycle again.








                 A dear friend of 93+ years young watched his wife lying in her chair often sleeping during her last days on earth. Harry said, "I believe we are like the butterfly. We live as the caterpillar; then become like the cocoon as we enter the "dying phase;" and then we go to heaven where we are like a butterfly that radiates beauty." After his wife passed away, Harry said "I miss Annabelle now, but I know she is a butterfly waiting for me."







March 5th I celebrate the one year anniversary of my book's publication. Thank you for your support and encouragement. 

March 7th I celebrate my 72nd birthday. I am so grateful that I have had the last 4+ years to share with my family and friends.

March 14th marks the 49th birthday of my first-born. I will always be thankful that I had the privilege to be a Mother, not just once, but three times.

March is Women's History Month, so I invite you to let a woman know what she has meant to you. 

March 31st is Easter Sunday...a time of rebirth and renewal.






6 comments:

Vickie said...

Hello Karen - I'm new here. My sister was diagnosed last week with OC and will be having surgery Monday, 18th, for the hysterectomy and debulking surgery. We are Christians and altho this has been a major blow for our family, we are going to fight this with every last ounce of energy. My sis Lisa is my best and dearest friend. We have no cancer on either side of our families back to great grandparents. She is 53. She has a gynocologic oncologist in Dallas and will be treated there.

Lisa has had gut issues all her life, and this OC was certainly not suspected for quite awhile - which is scary. We are putting all our faith and trust in the Lord and His mighty healing power. Lisa told me that in all things she just wants God to be glorified. She & her husband have 4 kids 19-27.

I'm so glad I found your blog today. It is uplifting, realistic, informative. I love the prose that you included in your previous post about what cancer CANNOT do. I'm sending her your link. I hope she'll come here and do some reading as I have done today. Thank you for this ministry. It's funny how lives can change in the blink of an eye...

Karen Ingalls said...

Vickie, I am so sorry to hear about your sister, Lisa. Being under the care of a gynecologic oncologist is the best, because they are the experts.
My prayers are with Lisa and your family. It is wonderful that you have your faith, because it was my trust in God that was the foundation of everything else. I appreciate your kind and encouraging words about my blog. Please keep us updated either through this site, or my email at kareningalls1941@gmail.com.
God bless you.

madhavi sood said...

Dear Karen,
First of all 'Belated Happy Birthday' and Wishing you lots of Rainbows and sunshine and tons of happiness, good health and love and joy from all nears and dears... And a superb year ahead!
I just read this wonderful post of yours, I had not been blogging much off late with pressures of time on work, health n my daughter's studies and exams.

'March' indeed is a wonderful month for me too personally.
I too became a Mother in this month and my reason for being and was blessed with a wonderful daughter. She just celebrated her birthday a week back in the midst of her Final exams!

And yes, as you so rightly put our lives keep changing like butterflies..... Often we do not realise we are heading for a major change sometimes for the better.

I like reading about how you survived Cancer and your words are a great source of inspiration.
I'm so glad we 'connected' even if it was to share the pain and angst and all the hopes...
Wishing You and all your family too a very Happy Easter ahead.
With Sincere Regards and hugs,
Madhavi Sood

Shirley Corder said...

Karen, I loved this post. I too have a chapter in Strength Renewed, Meditations for Your Journey through Breast Cancer, about butterflies. Well, actually it is about a drab brown moth I spotted on a bush. Under each wing was the most incredible splash of gold. I felt God reminding me that every person has that hidden touch of gold from Him. Even me!

Karen Ingalls said...

I am happy that this blog touched you so deeply. The butterfly "appears" to be so fragile with its delicate wings and thin body, but its inner strength gives it the will and power to travel its path. To a butterfly we humans might "appear" strong and mighty just because of our size, yet we also rely on our inner faith to face life's challenges.
Thank you for your kind wishes and thoughts.

Karen Ingalls said...

I remember that chapter because I was deeply moved by it. Yes, "...every person has that hidden touch of gold from Him." How beautifully written.

For anyone affected by breast cancer, I highly recommend Ms. Corder's book. It is most informative and inspirational.