About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

CIRCLE OF LIFE: SURVIVING CANCER

      The last two chapters of my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir are titled "Remission" and "New Birth-Day." 

       In the field of cancer the word CURE is almost never spoken. It is defined as the relief of the symptoms of a disease. REMISSION, is defined as there being no evidence of symptoms of cancer cells present, which is the term most often used.

     I celebrate my new birth-day on June 20th, the date of my diagnosis. I have been in remission for 5 years. I am surviving and thriving, which means I am continuing to live and living to the fullest. The song "Circle of Life" says it all, no matter what are circumstances are:

                                     From the day we arrive on the planet,
                                     And blinking, step into the sun
                                     There's more to see than can ever be seen
                                     More to do than ever be done
                                     There's far too much to take in here
                                     More to find than ever be found
                                     But the sun rolling high
                                     Through the sapphire sky
                                     Keeps great and small on the endless round.

                                     It's the Circle of Life

                                     And it moves us all
                                     Through despair and hope
                                     Through faith and love
                                     Till we find our place
                                     On the path unwinding
                                     In the Circle
                                     The Circle of Life.

      "In life, things happen around us, things happen to us, but the only thing that truly matters is what happens within us." (Anonymous)

     I like the quote from Michael Douglas: "Cancer didn't bring me to my knees, it brought me to my feet."    

     I have lived for 5 years cancer free, which is not typical for those women diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Yes, my life changed forever since I heard those fateful words, "You have cancer,"

                                but, my life is richer, has a new purpose, and filled with greater gratitude.      
                                That is my Circle of Life, and why I am surviving and thriving.



     Proceeds from my book go to ovarian and gynecologic research. It may be purchased at:                  

                                                        www.BeaversPondBooks.com
                                                        www.amazon.com
                                                        www.barnesandnoble.com

2 comments:

corymccarty said...

I have just started my journey with Ovarian Cancer, but I am inspired by your positive attitude and am hopeful to reach that five-year mark too! I am taking it one day at a time and have been buoyed by many prayers and much support. That support got me through two weeks on a ventilator in the ICU fighting Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Six weeks after being discharged from the hospital I am still using a walker and getting my strength back. I am doing well with my treatments. Three down! Here's to surviving and thriving!

Karen Ingalls said...

And I am inspired by your attitude, strength, and determination. I believe in taking one day at a time no matter what our circumstance might be.
Is there an ovarian cancer support group, alliance, or foundation in your area so you might get additional information, questions answered, and support from other women? I have found such resources here in Florida and in MN very helpful.
I hope you will stay in touch. Feel free to email me (kareningalls1941@gmail.com).
God bless you.
Karen