About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

IN THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS


"Are you happy?"

          "Do you think other people are more happy than you?"

                           "Are you a smiler 


                                           or a frowner?"



A branch of psychology called positive psychology focuses on helping people to be more happy. Here are some tips:


  • Express gratitude: let others know you are grateful for their deed, word, or just being them.

  • Challenge yourself: Use and develop your strengths, whatever they might be.

  • Be optimistic: it can reduce mental and physical illness, and increase coping abilities.

  • Laughter: appropriate laughter releases endorphins that relax and decrease stress.

Do you remember the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy"? Here are the words: sing along and let them fill you with happiness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWgm48jIFE

Positivity was, and continues to be today, a very important coping tool for facing ovarian cancer. I know gratitude, challenging myself, optimism, and laughter work for me...I am HAPPY!


http://www.outshineovariancancer.com
http://www.amazon.com/Outshine-An-Ovarian-Cancer-Memoir/dp/1592984622/res=sr
http://www.BeaversPondBooks.com

Proceeds from Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir go to ovarian cancer research.

4 comments:

Kathryn Treat said...

Thank you for the positive words.

Karen Ingalls said...

You are welcome!

Hanna said...

Great post, Karen!

Karen Ingalls said...

So good to hear from you, Hanna.