About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

MERRY-GO-ROUNDS: GRAB THE BRASS RING


     Last week I wrote about how life is like a ferris wheel with its ups and downs. The merry-go-round, represents how life is cyclic; it does have its own rhythm; there is music; and bright colorful lights. Yet when the merry-go-round is closed it is like life has come to such a standstill that we cannot hear or sense the beauty of life all around us.
             


One of my favorite memories as a child was riding a horse that went up and down on the merry-go-round at the San Diego Zoo. I always chose one on the outer ring and so I could reach out to grab the silver or brass ring at the end of each revolution. If I got the silver ring I threw it into the pictured clown's mouth just a few yards away; but if I grabbed the brass ring I would give it to the attendant for a free ride!



     The silver ring symbolizes the second, third, or however many chances we need to learn a life lesson, or reach a goal. We have to "pay" with our time, talent, or money as we continue riding the merry-go-round of life.


                  Do you ever feel like you are just going in circles?
                           Do opportunities feel like they are just out of reach?

    If you are just going in circles...perhaps it means you need to stretch yourself, look for the brass ring, and reach out more to grab it. Timing and where you are can be everything. Are you on a horse that is in the inner circle so you cannot see or reach for your goal? Don't close your eyes and live in a dream; don't let your attention be distracted by negativity, fear, and poor advice; and don't be afraid to move onto another horse by doing a different action or facing a new challenge. So often the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

   Believe in yourself. The brass ring symbolizes when we have learned a life lesson or attained our goal. The carousel of life does not end; there are always more dreams, goals and lessons.

                  "You are never too old to set another goal, or to dream a new dream." 
                                                  (C.S. Lewis)
      "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."
                                                  (Walt Disney)
  • I won the brass ring of life when I gained the confidence to publish my first book.
  • I am trying to grab that brass ring again by learning to not worry about things of which I have no control.
  • Share about a time when you achieved the brass ring. What did you learn?
  • Share how you might be trying to reach a certain goal; a life lesson you are trying to learn.

September was National Ovarian Cancer Month. My thanks to all of you for your support, encouragement, and generosity when I was able to give away or sell more books; do more presentations; and be with other thrivers/survivors of any gynecologic cancer. We are together in our fight against any cancer.

No comments: