About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

SHELLS: FOR PROTECTING, LIVING, & GIVING



     One of my favorite memories growing up in Southern California is that of walking on the beach and collecting sea shells. I loved to try to catch the perfect one as it rolled in with an incoming wave; wash the extra sand off; and feel my pockets or pail grow heavier with each added treasure.

   
Courtesy of tssphoto

Sand-dollars are my favorites. They get their name from sea shell collectors of long ago who thought they resembled silver coins. They are not the easiest to find in good condition because they are very fragile. Sea urchins live in them and travel across the ocean floor by moving tiny little hairs (cilia) and spines. In South Africa they are called "pansy shells" and are known as "snapper biscuits" in New Zealand.



Many sea creatures need shells to protect them from their prey. Sometimes other forms of sea life attach themselves to the shells. Do others rely on you? Do you make a difference in the life of another person?

 Just like seashells we humans come in many different shapes, colors, and sizes. We also move through life in groups, alone, with the help of others, or as someone for others to depend upon. We use different "shells" to protect ourselves, to help us grow, or to just survive in. They might be shells of pride, power, anger, kindness, or peacemaker to name just a few. What are you doing with your life to help others?



When I was first diagnosed with cancer my shell initially was one of introspection; then I added determination; and now my shell includes gratitude. I move through each day thankful that I have another opportunity to share about ovarian cancer; to use my cancer experience to teach and support other women and their families; and to use God's gifts to me (the real me) to bring some peace and beauty to others.

What does your outer shell reflect about you? Are you growing? Are you moving forward? Does your inner beauty attract others? Is your shell like that of a mollusk, tough and big? Or are you more fragile like the sand dollar?

             From my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, I share the following:

      "I saw a young man walking up and down a beach after the tide had gone out.
        The young man would pick up a starfish, left behind by the tide, and would throw it as far as
        he could back into the ocean.
        'What are you trying to do?' I asked.
        'Make a difference,' he replied.
        'But the beach is covered with starfish! You can't possibly expect to make a difference for 
         them all!' I stated.
         As he picked up another starfish and threw it into the ocean, he replied, 'I made a 
         difference for that one.'"
                             (Adapted from "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley)





www.BeaversPondBooks.com
www.amazon.com
www.BarnesandNoble.com

All proceeds go to gynecological research.







4 comments:

Hanna said...

Great post, Karen! Happy Halloween!

Anonymous said...

All your shells are beautiful, Karen.

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you, Hanna. Your support means a lot.

Karen Ingalls said...

Except for that particular sand dollar, I collected the sea shells photographed. I do have sand dollars, but I loved the photo of the ocean wave sweeping the sand dollar up onto the shore. I appreciate your compliment.