About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

CONTINGENCIES: THEY CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE






Thomas Edison believed in contingencies, or those future events that are possible, but just cannot be predicted with certainty. He was a pragmatic optimist; he was not "pie in the sky," but believed in himself.  He believed in hard work, common sense, and stick-to-itiveness. Perhaps that is why he is one of the greatest inventors of all times.


When I was a senior in high school I had a B+ average, was involved in various service clubs, but I did not score well on my SAT. I do not know if that was because I had sprained my ankle playing volleyball in gym class the day before, walked the UCLA campus on crutches to get to the test site, and was still in a lot of pain with a very swollen ankle. Whatever the reason, a few weeks later the school counselor said,

                  "You will not be accepted into any college or university with such a low score."                

    The following September I was a freshman at the University of Colorado and was told:

              "With such low SAT scores you will never graduate from here."

Well, I did not graduate from CU only because my mother was dying and I had to quit school. However, I did graduate a few years later with a BA degree in Minnesota, and went on to get a Master's Degree.

I worked hard, had stick-to-itiveness, and used the common sense the Good Lord gave me. I knew that someday I was going to be a college graduate and receive the training and education in the nursing field I so desired.

"What you are will show in what you do." This is a quote by Edison, which has long been a favorite of mine. "What you are is God's gift to you, what you do is your gift to God," is a quote by Emmett Fox. The words spoken by these two men have been powerful  motivators to me for most of my life. Therefore my contingencies were events that I felt I could make come true. I faced abuse, divorce, untimely deaths, cancer, and such negative words from counselors with a strong belief in myself.

I'm a cancer survivor of 5 years, an award-winning author, and a retired RN with two college degrees.
  •  What are your strengths?
  •  How do you face obstacles?
  •  Do you believe in yourself?
  •  Are there contingencies in your life?


For the month of December my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, is available at 15% discount when ordered at www.BeaversPondBooks.com. Enter the word "Gifts" in the coupon box.

**All proceeds go to gynecological cancer research at Mayo Clinic, Rochester and Florida Hospital Cancer Institute.




No comments: