About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

RESOLUTIONS OR EMPTY PROMISES?


Resolutions are promises to ourselves to make a positive change, or to stop a negative behavior.


This tradition has a long history:

  • The ancient Babylonians promised to pay old debts and return objects.
  • The Romans started each new year by making promises to their god, Janus.
  • The "peacock vow" was made in Medieval times by knights renewing their vows to chivalry.
  • Christians pray and make resolutions at midnight church services on December 31st.
  • Judaism has a rich history of seeking forgiveness for past wrongdoings; and to forgive others.

The divorce rate continues to rise and many relationships are unhappy. Perhaps we no longer "court" one another. According to the Huffington Post, popular resolutions for revitalizing a marriage are:

        1. Change the way you act; even small gestures can create big results.

        2. Text or write love notes.

        3. Have date nights, or just quality time together.

        4. Say positive things about your partner to others.

        5. Do random acts of kindness.

These same positive acts could apply in any relationship, so let's resolve:


My New Year's Resolution for 2014 is to not let my resolutions to be empty promises. As a Christian I promise to God to forgive myself and others; to make changes to create more peace, joy, and kindness; and to nurture my body with better eating habits and physical activity.

Please share your resolutions for 2014, then we can be of support to one another.

                             Wishing you each a joyful, peaceful, and healthy 2014.
                          My most humble thanks for all your support this past year.

My thanks to the following:
           http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/21/happier-marriage_n_4481166.html
           images for new year's resolutions
           www.cartoonstock.com

                   




No comments: