- Is a cancer that occurs in the cells of the cervix, which is the lower part of the uterus connecting to the vagina.
- Annual PAP smears can detect the absence or presence of such cancerous cells.
- The Human Papillomavirus (HPV) plays a major role in most cases.
- The HPV Vaccine is recommended for girls between the ages of 9 and 26.
- Many sexual partners
- Early sexual activity
- History of sexually transmitted diseases (STD's)
- Cigarette smoking
- A weak immune system
Treatment & Statistics:
In 2009, there were 84,155 diagnoses and 27,813 deaths
HOWEVER, THANKS IN LARGE PART TO THE VACCINE
In 2013, there were 12,340 diagnoses and 4,030 deaths!!!!!!
**My thanks to the Mayo Clinic and the National Institute of Health for its information.
**Thanks to the Foundation for Women's Cancer for all the educational, promotional, and legislative efforts it does.