About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Friday, April 11, 2014

WRITING: IT IS HEALING



           "I have always used writing or journaling to heal, to motivate, and to comfort me."

   
                                       LET WRITING HELP BRING YOU HEALING.

"Journaling about my diagnosis, treatment, and survival of ovarian cancer helped me 5 years ago, and so it does again as I face this cancer challenge once again."


"I am so honored and grateful for the awards, recognition, and praise I have received for my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir."

"I am pleased that I have been able to donate to ovarian cancer research at Florida Hospital Cancer Institute."

      **Writing does not have to be published to be helpful, inspirational, or worthwhile. What matters is what does the author gain, learn, or receive from the experience of sharing thoughts, fears, ideas, or answers to questions.

 
 **More often than not, when I "pick up the pen" it is like a time of prayer or meditation. I write from my heart and soul, sometimes just for myself, or at other times to share.

  **When I was a young girl, diaries were popular and I wrote down my daily activities, my dreams, and life's questions. I recently read some of the diaries that my grandmother wrote in every day of her adult life. I know it helped her cope with the death of her daughter.

**When we send a get well, sympathy, birthday, or any occasion card, we are "writing" our prayers, good wishes, or thoughts to someone. Hallmark might be the label, but we chose the card. Such writing is healing and welcoming to the receiver.

**Blogging is the 21st century way of writing in a diary.

**I encourage you each to try to journal in the form of a story, a poem, or just random sentences.  If you have a fear that is holding you back: write down words that describe your emotions; draw pictures; use different styles of writing such as block letters, script, etc.; write down words that show you overpowering the fear.

**Fear, hate, or jealousy can be such strong emotions that they can stop a person from living his/her life fully. Gain control of them and take their power away through journaling. It is a powerful step.

**You can do the same kinds of things with unanswered questions, happy or sad memories, or any thing. I always start with a prayer for guidance and God's presence.















   


No comments: