About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

SERENDIPITY: A FORTUITOUS HAPPENSTANCE





     I first learned the word serendipity when Marcus Bach gave a lecture about it some thirty-five years ago at a church I was attending. The word caught my attention and I fell in love with it and all that it means.

    Serendipity is magical, good fortune, mysterious, the work of angels, and a part of God's plan. It is finding something good without looking for it!

     It was first coined in 1754 by Horace Walpole based on the Persian tale The Three Princes of Serendip, who in this fairy tale are "always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of."
               
      **It is considered to be one of the most difficult words to translate.

                **Alexander Fleming's discovery of penicillin is considered to be serendipitous.

                          **The same is said about the invention of the microwave oven.



A serendipity time for me was when I chose to see the gynecologic oncologist, Dr. Matthew Boente, in Edina, MN at the same time my husband's friend and jeweler said, "There is only one doctor for Karen to see and that is Dr. Boente. My niece is doing her residency under him."





My son was called to install a home alarm system on his day off, which he was reluctant to give up. However, he went and the homeowner's husband worked for a national power company, and the contact opened up a wonderful job opportunity. He has had a successful career in this field for 20+ years. That is serendipity.



                How many serendipitous events do you recall?
                       Is serendipity just "good luck"?
                             Or is it the work of guardian angels?
                                  Are they little miracles?

                                 Share your times when you experienced serendipity.


                              Visit my new website at: www.outshineovariancancer.com 

2 comments:

Hanna said...

I applied to the University of Minnesota because it gave me a fast-track application, and I fell in love with the campus when I visited. But what was so serendipitous about it was that I had no idea that Minneapolis was such a literary city! When I was choosing between colleges, it was between the University of Illinois and the University of Minnesota, and there is no way that I would have a job in publishing today if I had ever gone to the U of I. And then I would have never met you! :)

Karen Ingalls said...

Hanna, thank you for sharing. I am also glad that you chose the U of MN...how else would we have met?!