About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

FATHERS AND SONS


     Sunday, June 15th, Father's Day is celebrated here in the United States. It is a day that often involves neck ties, shirts, and other such gifts for the man of the house. The family often will gather out on the deck or patio while Dad barbecues brats, hot dogs, or hamburgers. It is a happy day when the kids tell their dad how much they love and appreciate him.

                                                     Or is it?


         How many American homes have a father or male role model in them?
                Fathers, do you pass on the "Iron John" to your sons?
                        Did you learn about being a man, a father, a husband from your dad?

 


    In the early 1990's, Robert Bly wrote the book Iron John, where he writes about "a new vision of what it is to be a man." He expresses concern about the absence of men in the family unit, and the loss of male initiation rituals into manhood. He talks about the eight stages of male growth, and that masculinity is both protective and centered, emotionally. This is a book I recommend for everyone, male and female, to read.





 
Another book I recommend for a lighter, funnier look at fatherhood is:

Bill Geist and his son Willie have written a wonderful book with humor and deep insight about their father-son relationship titled,  Good Talk, Dad. I encourage you to take a look at it.


 


 In my recently published book, Novy's Son, The Selfish Genius, I present the main character as a man searching for the "Iron John" by getting love and acceptance from his father. It is a compilation of men I have known in my life from fathers, grandfathers, sons, and husbands, and the men that I counseled over the twenty years I worked as a nurse therapist.

www.amazon.com
www.outshineovariancancer.com

                 This Father's Day I send special good wishes and love to five fathers:

        **To my husband, Jim, who is a wonderful father to his son, 2 daughters, and
                  three stepsons.

        **To my three sons and stepson, who know the true importance of fatherhood.

                          Happy Father's Day to every father out there.

                           Your role is very important and appreciated.



No comments: