About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

HUMILITY & SERVICE: DEEPER WAY OF LIVING


                                How can I be a blessing to someone else?


                     PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK AND WATCH THIS VIDEO:

                             https://www.youtube.com/embed/uaWA2GbcnJU

     After I watched this most powerful video I thought about people who have spent their lives being of service to others. Those that I admire the most do not draw attention to themselves...there are no clanging bells, no spotlights, and little or no media attention.

     I think of the Orlando man who rescued a dog from a neighbor's burning house; the group of young men who subdued a man attacking a woman; the volunteers for hospice who give their time and hearts to families; and my neighbor who volunteers as a teacher's aide.

1. Do you smile as you pass people on the street?
   2.  Do you open the door for others to pass through?
       3. Do you let a car budge in front of you without getting angry?
          4. Do you greet people with a smile and "how are you?"
            5. When you hear a negative statement, do you try to make it a positive one?
               6. Do you listen to or spread gossip, or do you put a stop to it?

Let's each plant our own seeds of hope, kindness, or love...then bloom where we are planted.



                          Last week's blog we learned how plants have lessons for us.

Since being diagnosed with cancer, not once but twice, one of the greatest lessons I have learned is the gift of giving to someone else. Each and every card, phone call, visit, smile, or shared tear has been a gift to me...sometimes from total strangers. 

FROM AUGUST 1 TO SEPT 30, I WILL BE GIVING AWAY FREE COPIES OF MY "OUTSHINE" BOOK TO TEN PEOPLE. GO TO www.goodreads.com/giveaway, SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOOK AND ENTER TO WIN. THIS OFFER IS AVAILABLE INTERNATIONALLY AS WELL AS HERE IN THE UNITED STATES.





From my book Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir: "These wonderful women gave me a blanket they had made by each putting their talent to use. They gather together once a week to make such blankets, pray, and read scripture. They are doing the ministry of God."

www.outshineovariancancer.com





2 comments:

The Savvy Sister said...

Such a beautiful post. We often forget that simple things can change someones day. Thanks!

Karen Ingalls said...

Life's happiness is not about the big events, but the culmination of the smaller joyful, peaceful, loving events. Thank you, Savvy Sister.