About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child, but my first published book came as a result of my ovarian cancer diagnosis. The title is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

ABUSE: UGLY & SCARY

"Improper or excessive use or treatment," "to treat harmfully or improperly," "to speak insultingly or hurtfully," "to commit sexual assault upon."



Bullying is abuse no matter how a person might want to try to say, "We were only kidding." "He/she is such a nerd," "We don't mean anything by it. He/she should not be so sensitive," or "He/she doesn't care."


     Some of us become abusive with alcohol, drugs (street or prescription) or cigarettes. Others abuse their bodies through poor nutrition, obesity, fad diets, or eating disorders. The body you have is the only one you will have here on earth. You cannot trade it in for a new model. What you do with your body now is reflected on its health tomorrow. 



Animals are precious gifts for us humans to enjoy, take care of, and provide nourishment. A horse I had as a teenager had been abused by its previous owner with a pitchfork in the stable. "Babe" learned to trust only me. Any male that came near him stirred up the fear, anger, and hurt from the past.




     Any abuse means the abuser has control. Women who live with abusers need to be strong and leave the situation...take back control of their own lives. Children and animals are the saddest cases of abuse, because they do not understand "what they did to deserve this," they do not always have the resources to get into a healthier, loving situation, and they do not understand how to be in control or what it means.


     I was able to leave my abusive home at 17years. Yet, I was always scared my stepfather would find me, call me a liar, and maybe even kill me. Once I took Christ into my life, shared with a few trusted adults, I was able to forgive my stepfather and live a life of strength, love, and peace.



     I am pleased to recommend these two books for your reading. Both are written in first person from women who did suffer abuse in various forms. I am proud of their courage to speak out, and admire their strengths to turn their lives into positive role models.

Author, Megan Cyrulewski contacted me to highlight her book Who Am I?  How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Live Again. The author is an ordinary person who has faced extraordinary challenges and now wants to inspire people and show them that hope gives them the power to survive anything. Who Am I? is about her journey into post-partum depression, anxiety disorder, panic attacks, visits to the psych ward, divorce, domestic violence, law school, and her courageous struggle to survive with her sanity intact—and how a beautiful little girl emerged from all this chaos.
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Am-Daughter-Taught-Again/dp/1626941513






     Another book I highly recommend is Transformed by Tragedy by Carmyn Sparks. A gripping saga exposing secret sins of a powerful West Texas family. Ms. Sparks will be a guest blogger this fall. She found the real Carmyn when she turned her life over to Christ. www.yoflife.com

    

    
THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO DO TO STOP ABUSE. Please feel free to contact either of the spotlighted authors or myself...find help for yourself...help others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the bully bullies to control the target as well as to isolate the target. My experience is that the bully is insecure emotionally. Encounters are one-on-one so others do not see or hear the bully's comments.

It is interesting that older adults can be a bully, a snub, or aggressive. If so, acts of kindness to the bully might help. Being kind to one another is something we usually learn in childhood, remembering that we have to be kind to one another as we age. Acts of kindness leads to feeling good about self and is sometimes the best option to maintain your sanity, other than walking out. If you walk out, smile - it's worth a million dollars!

Christine

Karen Ingalls said...

How right you are about bullies...their self esteem is so low that they pick on the vulnerable so as to make themselves feel good. However, it does not really work.
The Golden Rule applies to all of life...we just need to live it.