About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

HOW BIRDS GOT WINGS

              A fable about the way birds first got their wings:


 The story goes that initially they were created without them. Then God made the wings, set them down before the wingless birds, and said to them, "Take up these burdens and carry them."

The birds had sweet voices for singing, and lovely feathers that glistened in the sunshine, but they could not soar in the air. When asked to pick up the burdens that lay at their feet, they hesitated at first. Yet soon they obeyed, picked up the wings with their beaks, and set them on their shoulders to carry them.

For some time, the load, this burden, seemed heavy and difficult to bear, but soon, as they continued to carry the burden and to fold the wings over their hearts, the wings grew attached to their little bodies. They quickly discovered how to use them and were lifted by the wings high into the air.

                                            The burdens had become wings.





We each have burdens that we must carry until we learn how to carry them and tie them to our hearts.  We must not run from them...where would we go? To be bitter or angry about them...only makes the burdens heavier. To try to have others carry our burden...what would we learn? To deny the existence of the burden...we won't soar like the eagle.

                             "They will soar on wings like eagles. (Isaiah 40:31)

5 comments:

joanneguidoccio.com said...

Simply inspiring! Thank you Karen :)

Karen Ingalls said...

When I received the message from my friends who shared this fable, I got tears in my eyes. It is a beautiful story.

Hanna said...

Karen, this is beautiful! I've always though that if I had a "spirit animal" it would be a bird, so this resonated especially powerfully for me. Thanks for sharing and making my afternoon :) I hope that you're doing well!

Karen Ingalls said...

Hanna, thank you for sharing about your spirit animal being a bird. Mine has always been an owl, though my favorite bird is a hawk. I am doing fine and looking to get stronger and healthier each day.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am currently looking for someone with Cancer to share their medical reports with me. I am a phd student working on my thesis. I am willing to pay 300 dollars for medical reports. (patients name and identifiable information will be erased.) I hope you are interested. My email is krista7707 at Hotmail dot com