About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

SHAKE OUT OR SHIFT AWAY

     Several years ago I was putting a load of just washed clothes in the dryer. My sister, Joan, watched me just grab hands full and said, "Wait, you have to shake each piece out."

     "What? I have never done that," feeling a little indignant that my older sister had something to teach me after I had been doing laundry for some 40 years.

     She explained, "If you shake out each piece, it will not wrinkle, or very little. Therefore, eliminating any ironing." She had a big smile on her face, happy to share the good news that ironing might be one job I could forget about.


Lesson One: Do not take for granted that you know everything even if you have been doing the same task for an extended period of time.

Lesson Two: I sometimes grab things, people, or events, and "throw" them into my pile of life. I do not always listen, look at objectively, or participate in wholly. I need to slow down and appreciate the situation and make the most of it.



     I recently gave a talk to some cancer survivors about "shifting away" from their cancer. In other words, do not let cancer control their lives, but they be the ones in control. One lady shared, "I am new to all of this and I feel consumed by everything. My life is no longer mine."

     We talked about being sure to incorporate joyful things into our daily activities, exercise, eat nutritiously, journal, pray or meditate, laugh, and even shed some tears, and to face any fear which is often the biggest blocker to shifting away from cancer.


Lesson One: Incorporate those things that help you to shift away from whatever challenge you are facing.

Lesson Two: The more people are in control of their lives, the healthier they will be.



     We each need to shake out of our doldrums, fears, bad habits, or negative personality traits, and then shift away from our unhealthy life choices.



These are only some of the many lessons I have learned and share about in my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir. Please share any lessons you have learned whether from a cancer diagnosis, divorce, financial challenges, empty nest syndrome, or any other life changing event.

www.outshineovariancancer.com
www.amazon.com

4 comments:

Kathy Dukes said...

Hi Karen , I''m hoping this finds you well and I wanted to tell you I loved this blog. .First I too shake out every piece of laundry, it does work. LOL~ Also it's true..I have lost control lately and it makes a huge difference but I go back and forth..Loosing two good friend in two days to cancer has thrown me, one Ovarian girlfriend too. . I'm gearing up for September an Ovarian cancer awareness month. I'm doing my advocate work again & making my bravery bags for my cancer center. , Holding hands to other cancer patients, It makes me stronger. But I have also gone on to other things also..I had my first relay last Saturday..what an honor to be a survivor. What an honor to know good strong woman like you.. To me cancer is one of the best things that ever happened to me..Ovarian cancer dxd 06-12-2012. I love your blog. I also Love you my TEAL sister, .I feel a Bond you probably don't even know about but your blog makes you approachable & I .Thank You, Your Friend , Kathy in Cali,

Karen Ingalls said...

Kathy, your comment brought tears to my eyes and a smile on my face. Thank you for such very kind words.
I think of the Teal friends I have lost to ovarian cancer and it gives me more energy to do what I can to spread the word. Thank you for all you are doing for those at the cancer center. God bless you. Wishing you a most blessed Labor Day weekend.

Hanna said...

Karen, what a beautiful blog post! I have never heard the "shaking out the laundry" trick before, thanks for sharing. I especially love what you said about incorporating joy—you deserve bliss every day, never stop hunting it down! <3

Karen Ingalls said...

With the advancement of dryers today and more fabrics that are wrinkle free, it is not as necessary as many years ago. I still do it anyway because I do think it helps. We each do deserve bliss every day.