- Karen Ingalls
- My journey as a writer began as a child, but my first published book came as a result of my ovarian cancer diagnosis. The title is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received three awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2018.
Thursday, September 4, 2014
THE BEAST: OVARIAN CANCER
MANY WOMEN DESCRIBE THEIR JOURNEY WITH OVARIAN CANCER
THE SAME AS FIGHTING OFF A BEAST.
It is a beast because it is lurking for months or years, awaiting for the prime time to attack...
It "teases" us by giving us only subtle hints that it is there...
And then, once its presence is found, it often reappears again and again...
Massive surgeries, chemotherapies, and radiation are the treatments of choice.
Does this sound like a fairy tale waiting for the knight in shining armor to rescue the fair maiden?
HERE ARE THE FACTS THAT EVERY FEMALE NEEDS TO KNOW WELL. PLEASE FORWARD THIS BLOG TO ALL YOUR FEMALE FRIENDS AND ASK THEM TO FORWARD ON TO THEIRS.
1. Approximately 250,000 women in the world will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer this year.
Most will NOT survive 5 years, because they are diagnosed in the late stages.
2. There is NO reliable screening test.
3. The subtle SYMPTOMS are:
* Swollen abdomen
* Pain in abdomen
* Digestive changes
* Frequent or urgent urinations
* Change in bowel habits
* Painful intercourse, spotting of blood, any unusual vaginal discharge.
IF ANY OF THE ABOVE SYMPTOMS PERSIST FOR TWO WEEKS, GO TO A
GYNECOLOGIST FOR EVALUATION.
4. The RISK FACTORS are:
* Personal or family history of breast, colon-rectal, or ovarian cancer.
* Ashkenazi Jewish heritage
* BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 positive gene mutation
* Endometriosis history
* Never having been pregnant
* History of smoking
* Infertility issues
* Risk increases with age HOWEVER young girls (ages 9, 14, 17) been diagnosed.
Watch this video about a very brave 7 year old: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/03/girl-7-receives-rare-ovarian-cancer-diagnosis/
OUR KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR WILL APPEAR WHEN RESEARCH FINDS A RELIABLE SCREENING TEST, MEDICATIONS OR TREATMENTS THAT WILL ONLY DESTROY THE CANCER CELLS, AND WOMEN PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR BODIES WARNING SIGNALS AND ACT ON THEM.
Your body is the vessel that holds your soul. It is the only body you will have, so:
* Keep your body weight within normal limits
* Smile, laugh, think positive
* And live your life with love in your heart.
This is the first in a series of 4 blogs on ovarian cancer. September is National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. Again, please share this blog with every woman you know, and ask her to do the same. Information is a key to successfully defeating the beast.
There will be 10 copies of my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, will be given away this month. Go to www.goodreads.com/giveaway and enter your name for the drawing.