About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR THE CHRONICALLY ILL


There are many gifts that we can give to those who are ill, especially with a chronic illness like cancer. Here are some ideas:

     1. Those with cancer rely on their caregivers for so very much...why not give him/her a gift of your time? Spend a few hours or a day and play a game, read to them, pray with them, just enjoy conversation, or listen to their fears and strengths.

     2. Give the gift of housecleaning with either your own energy, or suggest the free service http://www.cleaningforareason.org/

     3. Share food: a pot of soup, fresh fruit, bread, high protein drinks, and freshly prepared vegetables.

     4. Bring small Christmas decorations and place around the home. Fresh pine or scented calendars can be difficult for some to smell due to allergies or nausea.

   
 
    5. Handmade items: Knit or crochet a blanket, cap, or shawl; sew a "belly pillow"; or give a cross-stitched item. Here is a blanket I treasure made by my daughter & granddaughter.


     6. Offer to write their Christmas cards for them.



     7. Take them for a ride; perhaps stopping at a favorite cafe or store.

     8. Provide CD's or tapes of their favorite music.


     9. Do some grocery or Christmas shopping for them.


     10. Stuff a Christmas stocking or basket with useful, small items: unscented lotion, soap, shampoo/conditioner, chocolate, hand sanitizer, tissue, small note pad, nail polish, mouthwash, lozenges, etc.

     11. Books, magazines, Soduku, crossword puzzles, etc.

                       MANY GIFTS THAT WILL MEAN SO MUCH...

                THESE SYMBOLIZE THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS


If anyone needs a free copy of my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, to give someone with a chronic illness, please email me for a free copy. It is my Christmas gift.


***FOR THOSE OF US WITH CANCER, LET US PRAY THAT DR. SOON SHIHONG IS FINDING THE CURE FOR ANY CANCER. SEE HIS INTERVIEW ON www.60minutes.com






2 comments:

The Savvy Sister said...

Thanks for this! I'm sharing with our Facebook peeps!

Karen Ingalls said...

Thank you for sharing with others.