About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

CELEBRATING A NEW YEAR

When we think of celebrating a "New Year" we usually think of resolutions, parties, the New York City ball coming down at midnight on the eve of the new year. I do find that setting resolutions helpful, but I also like to take the time to celebrate people who have contributed positivity to my life.

Resolutions are promises to ourselves to make a positive change, or to stop a negative behavior.

This tradition has a long history:
  • The ancient Babylonians promised to pay old debts and return objects.
  • The Romans started each new year by making promises to their god, Janus.
  • The "peacock vow" was made in Medieval times by knights renewing their vows to chivalry.
  • Christians pray and make resolutions at midnight church services on December 31st.
  • Judaism has a rich history of seeking forgiveness for past wrongdoings; and to forgive others.

I am celebrating some good news that came out in 2014 for ovarian cancer:
  • New drug, Lynparza (olaparib) approved by the FDA
  • Excess weight gain linked to increase risk of developing ovarian cancer
  • Experimental vaccine for ovarian cancer continues to gain momentum
                     http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/categories/ovarian_cancer

I am also celebrating and honoring those who have made our world a better place:
  • Pope Francis, a champion of social justice.
  • All the medical researchers who are finding cures and help for all or us.
  • Xiao Meili, brought attention to sexual abuse in China and the world.
  • Katherine Chastain Treat, author about environmental allergens.
  • Stuart Scott, sportscaster who taught us how "you beat cancer by how you live."
The list could go on, but the real question is: what do you and I do to make this a better world? We can only start with ourselves, and then on to our family, friends, and neighbors. Loving and positive acts could apply in any relationship, so let's resolve to be kinder, wiser, and forgiving to others.


                 "If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, 
                                         and most of all yourself." (A. Neilen)

Sources:
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49


No comments: