About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

AFTER A STORM, A RAINBOW APPEARS



Once a storm has passed, assessment, clean-up, and new beginnings start.

        We all remember the devastation after September 11th, Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, the tsunami that hit Japan, and many other natural disasters.
                                                                       

         
A fewer number will remember the fear, destruction, and horror of Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima,
                   and the war zones from World War II, Korea, and South VietNam.

         The assasinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, and Martin Luther King continue
                                                   to live in our memories.

We each can share a personal story of our own storms...
        Divorce,
           Death,
              Cancer,
                 Financial ruin,
                    to name a few. 
                    Each story has its own unique challenges...but we will survive and 
                      be better if we have... 




Recently I used the quote from Helen Keller, "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." Sometimes our blinders of self-pity, anger, depression, and resentment get in the way.

             Or, as Nelson Mandela said, "It always seems impossible until it's done."



Some dear friends of mine have been in their own personal "storm" for six long years with no resolution yet in sight. Every morning they start the new day with prayer, devotions, and a smile. They have learned many lessons along this journey and have the faith of Job that their prayers will be answered. They believe the rainbow will appear when the time is right in God's plan. They are an inspiration.

                Faith, hope, and love are necessary to find the rainbow after a storm.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog Karen, it always inspires me to reflect.
It's interesting, when I think about divorce, death, cancer, financial ruin, loss of a job...it's funny how it makes me think of my own alcoholism and the alcoholism of others that I know or who have died from it. I have experienced some of these listed above directly and have been touched by someone very close who has experienced these things do to alcoholism. It is my understanding (defined by some medical professionals) that alcoholism (alcohol abuse) is a primary disease. Which means it causes other diseases. such as cancer(pancreatic, esophogeal, liver), diabetes, high blood pressure, dementia the list really goes on. I was dignosed with alcoholism in 2001 while going through a treatment program. I think I knew before 2001 that I suffered from alcoholism but wasn't sure what to do about it. In fact I thought I was just going to die from it. Anyway it was about a 25 year STORM. It seemed...like any other disease it was progressive it definately got worse when untreated as time went on. The whole 25 years I drank were not terrible in fact when I look back the storms would come and go but the gray cloud was always lurking over head. I understand that I have a daily reprieve and that the alcoholism can rear it's ugly head at any given time. If I continue to look for fear, self-pity, anger, depression, and resentments(as you mentioned in your blog) and as these things crop up that I deal with them and process them properly and healthily there is a much greater chance the alcoholism will stay away. The rainbow showed up on September 22, 2002.....and the rainbow has been showing up every day since. In these last 12 years some days have definatley been difficult, but I wouldn't exchange my worse day in sobriety for my best day when I was drinking. I am very hopeful that the rainbow will keep showing up and I have so much faith in what's been keeping that rainbow around.

Amy Ingalls

Karen Ingalls said...

Amy, thank you for sharing about your storm and rainbows. I am so proud of you. Your testimonial above will be a wonderful inspiration to others.