About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

FOG: A METAPHOR OF LIFE





Yesterday morning the fog was thick as it hung over the lake in front of our house. I watched a fishing boat slowly drive from a nearby canal going deeper into the fog until it disappeared. There are days when we each might travel in a metaphorical fog (depression, fear, ignorance, sadness, etc.)



I grew up in Southern California two blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Many were the nights I would fall asleep to the calming sound of the fog horn.

One time my sister and I were on our dad's boat making our way up the coast from San Diego to Long Beach. The fog came in quickly and unexpectedly. Dad had each of us stay in the pilot room and watch out for any danger. Suddenly my sister yelled out, "I see a rock just ahead." How often are we met with an unexpected injury, illness, financial downturn, job change, etc.


Life's events are often like the fog. Sometimes we cannot see what is coming, but if we travel slowly and cautiously the sun will come out to reveal our path. When I was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I did not know what my life's path would be. For the last 7 years, I have lived as a cancer survivor, an advocate, and a volunteer. I love my new life!


When we are in "the fog" we rely on the experiences and advice of others. They are like the foghorn to guide us to safety. The many ovarian cancer survivors, who I have been privileged to meet, have been a wealth of love, inspiration, and advice.

And, we all need family, friends, mentors to help us when we are lost in the fog. They help us to see any dangers ahead, guide us to new acceptance and understanding, and help us to be strong and avoid the rocks of self-pity, fear, and loss of hope. I am blessed to have so many people who have helped me steer away from the rocks.

The oncologist today said there was No Evidence of Disease from my recent CT Scan, but will keep me on Avastin for 3-6 months to be sure all cancer cells are destroyed. Hearing that was a "rock in my path" until my husband and I talked about the benefits for long term protection. The fog from disappointment cleared once we let the light of hope shine through.


I titled my book, Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, because I knew from other life experiences when the fog was surrounding me, that I needed to believe in the gift of outshining any negative event or person. It is the warm rays of the sun that burns away the fog. It is our use of positivity, humor, exercise, good nutrition, and a faith in a God or a power greater than us.

All proceeds go to gynecologic cancer research. Ovarian cancer is the most deadly and is the 5th leading cause of death for women.

No comments: