About Me

My photo
My journey as a writer began as a child. I wrote poems and short stories which were my way of dealing with various life changing events. I am a member of Rave Reviews Book Club. Follow me on Twitter @KIngallsAuthor www.facebook.com/KarenIngalls, and you can find my books at www.amazon.com. My first book is Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir which received two awards. All proceeds are donated to gynecologic cancer research. My second book is a novel Novy's Son, about one man's attempt to find love and acceptance from his father. This is an all too common problem in our society. My third book, Davida: Model and Mistress of Augustus Saint-Gaudens is about the love affair between this great American sculptor and his model. ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2011 THROUGH 2017.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

MARCH: NATIONAL READING MONTH


The Importance of Reading to Children 
  
I am honored to have Janice Spina as my guest blogger this week. March is National Reading Month so it is only fitting to have an author and an advocate for children's literacy. Reading stimulates the imagination, provides information, and can help heal the body through this relaxing activity.


  Being an author of six children’s books I love to inspire children to read. All my children’s books (geared to preschool to grade three) are written in rhyme with life lessons with nothing that will frighten young children. My husband John, also my illustrator, and I work together to publish books under Jemsbooks.

    I have been writing since I was nine years old in the form of poetry and greeting cards. Rhyming has been my love because of its musical quality and cadence. Children seem to love this quality and listen more carefully when things rhyme. The rhyming makes stories more fun and entertaining to them.

    Children who have been read to by their parents or other family members have been known to do better in school and are more self-assured. My husband is a former grammar school principal and he saw evidence of this in many of the children who attended his schools through his teachers’ feedback.

    I am a former teacher aide and secretary in a school system where I spent many days working with children one-on-one in reading and math. I noticed children who knew some of the books I read to them and others who did not. I started some of my sessions with the children by asking them how many were read to at bedtime. There were always a few that did not raise their hands. I made sure that I spent more time reading to these children to help them catch up with the others. Their reading and writing skills were not as strong but improved as they spent more time reading along with me. I even recorded my voice reading books in one teacher’s class so that the children could listen to the stories as they turned the pages helping them to learn how to read by repetition.

    Spending time with your children is not only good for their health but yours too. It forms a strong bond and children feel safe, loved and confident.

    I will continue to write books that will entertain, delight and introduce children to a love of reading that will help them grow and become more confident and one day help them to lead more rewarding lives.

    My motto is Reading Gives you Wings to Fly. My logo is Jemsbooks – books for all ages. My goal is to encourage children to read.

The title of my books are: Louey the Lazy Elephant, Ricky the Rambunctious Raccoon, Jerry the Crabby Crayfish, Lamby the Lonely Lamb, Jesse the Precocious Polar Bear, Broose the Moose on the Loose.


My books are available here:
Amazon: http://amazon.com/author/janicespina7             


LAMBY THE LONELY LAMBRECEIVED THE SILVER AWARD FROM MOM'S CHOICE AWARDS! http://momschoiceawards.com



Thank you, Karen, for having me on your blog. It was a sincere pleasure to spend time with you and your readers.

http://wp.me/P49Fi9-GG

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/6614283/?claim=ktaf3zu8fs3">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>



2 comments:

Janice Spina said...

Thank you, Karen, for featuring me on your lovely blog and for your kind support. Blessings and hugs!

Karen Ingalls said...

It was my honor to have you write a guest post, especially for such an important subject. Thank you.